Disappointed in MiterSet

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Cliffy
Gold Member

Disappointed in MiterSet

Post by Cliffy »

Got my MiterSet and went to look it over.

When the miter gauge from my SS is inserted in the MiterSet slot there is a small amount of sideway play that will show up in segmented cuttings for bowls. Enough movement so perfect angles can't be set against a hard stop.

Additionally, when trying to set an angle on the MiterSet with the SS gauge, when lower number settings are used (4-6) the miter gauge is not wide enough to contact the number pin at its tangent point. The end of the gauge contacts the pin somewhere before it hits the tangent point thereby not allowing the perfect angle to be set.

I must now make an accurate extension to the width of the SS miter gauge so I can hit the tangent point

I might be able to take the slop out of the miter gauge slot with a center punch is strategic places but I really don't want to.

Anyone else see this issue with the MiterSet?
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Disappointed in MiterSet

Post by reible »

Are you sure you got the shopsmith version? I personally don't own this but I have heard reports from a lot of happy users without your issues. They do make other version and I would expect that one designed for a 3/4" bar would be a sloppy fit with the shopsmith bar.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

The SS version of the MiterSet comes with a bar to bridge the pins for the miter gauge face to rest against that is not included in the regular MiterSet. As Ed stated, the difference between a 3/4" miter slot and a SS miter slot is only 0.03", which may be where your slop is coming from. I would measure the miter bar slot to see if it could be for a 3/4" miter bar. If it was purchased from SS, they may have gotten a shipment from MiteSet that was incorrect.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Cliffy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 pm Got my MiterSet and went to look it over.

When the miter gauge from my SS is inserted in the MiterSet slot there is a small amount of sideway play that will show up in segmented cuttings for bowls. Enough movement so perfect angles can't be set against a hard stop.

Additionally, when trying to set an angle on the MiterSet with the SS gauge, when lower number settings are used (4-6) the miter gauge is not wide enough to contact the number pin at its tangent point. The end of the gauge contacts the pin somewhere before it hits the tangent point thereby not allowing the perfect angle to be set.

I must now make an accurate extension to the width of the SS miter gauge so I can hit the tangent point

I might be able to take the slop out of the miter gauge slot with a center punch is strategic places but I really don't want to.

Anyone else see this issue with the MiterSet?
No but then I do not do segmented turning and I have one of the original miter sets. What I don't understand is the slop reported here in the miter slot. The absence of slop is what makes my MiterSet so great. I suspect, as has been stated already. that you purchased the MiterSet designed to be used in a "standard 3/4" miter slot.

So. Without being PC I must suggest that your disappointment maybe should be with yourself and not MiterSet.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

Bought it straight from SS
I was very careful when ordering it to make sure I got the SS MiterSet
A regular table saw miter gauge will not slide into the slot (tried it!) but the SS gauge has a slight amount of movement.
I'll pull out my machinist mics today and measure the slot and the gauge to be able to tell you EXACTLY how much slop there is.
As a machinist I am used to tight tolerances.
Haven't seen any "bar" in the set but I'll look in the box again.
IF a bar is required then its a design flaw from the start (or an adaptation issue that should have been taken care of in the beginning).
A piece of drill rod will suffice if I can't find "the bar" in my kit.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Cliffy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:22 pm Bought it straight from SS
I was very careful when ordering it to make sure I got the SS MiterSet
A regular table saw miter gauge will not slide into the slot (tried it!) but the SS gauge has a slight amount of movement.
I'll pull out my machinist mics today and measure the slot and the gauge to be able to tell you EXACTLY how much slop there is.
As a machinist I am used to tight tolerances.
Haven't seen any "bar" in the set but I'll look in the box again.
IF a bar is required then its a design flaw from the start (or an adaptation issue that should have been taken care of in the beginning).
A piece of drill rod will suffice if I can't find "the bar" in my kit.
It does sound as though you did do diligence and my assumptions were wrong.

I could take measurements on my MiterSet but that would not be an apples for apples comparison. You apparently have the new MiterSet while mine is one of the very first versions made of wood. That said I would still expect that what you have should be as good as mine if not better.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Cliffy,

I have to wonder why it is "sloppy" since you bought it from Shopsmith. The other concern is why the pin spacing is apparently wider than the miter face. I have the MiterSet Standard (not the segment one) made from CNC milled aluminum that I bought when the inventor first introduced it and sold it on ebay. The MiterSet Segment followed. Later Shopsmith took notice of these and added them to their online catalog. Mine works perfectly with my Mark Series Miters. As I said it is the MiterSet Standard not the Segment version and the Detent Bar mentioned before comes with the Standard version only for adjustments less than the 5 degree pin sets.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Hmmm?
I bought the miter set and segment set from shopsmith a couple of years ago and both fit very tight.
Me thinks you need to send it back. Something is wrong.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I don't see the problem either. I have both MiterSets and they are well designed & built. The segmented one I haven't used myself yet. I have a wood auxiliary fence on my Shopsmith miter gauge but took it off for this test. I have no problems with the 4 position, but 6 does start to get awkward but should work. At the 8 position the Shopsmith miter gauge won't reach without a fence extension on the miter gauge. However if the Shopsmith miter bar doesn't fit snugly in the miter set then you have the wrong version. I believe I ordered my Shopsmith version of the MiterSet directly from the MiterSet company, but it is possible I got it from Shopsmith...can't remember. By the way, in my pics it looks like there could be a gap between the miter bar and the side of the MiterSet but this is an optical illusion. It is just the small chamfer on the edge of the miter slot for the MiterSet. The Shopsmith miter bar fits pretty snug with only a small amount of play in it.
IMG_5502.jpg
IMG_5502.jpg (105.61 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
IMG_5503.jpg
IMG_5503.jpg (98.53 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
IMG_5504.jpg
IMG_5504.jpg (108.8 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

I bought the segmented MiterSet for the regular table saw and use it with my craftsman and SS saws. I just hold the miterbar against one side while pushing against the pins. I thought that would keep the angles accurate. I use it to set 90 & 45.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?