power-loc for MFT type tops

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

power-loc for MFT type tops

Post by reible »

Just placed an order for a pair of these power-loc's and they seem to have a decent stock but since the word is out they could be gone soon.

Rather then get into to much detail they will allow you to attach a secondary mft top of either 3/4" and 3/4" or 3/4" and 1/2" which could be router table or sander or what ever and lock them together. Best to see it for yourself:

https://power-loc.com/

Ron Paulk youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuRCwnQ ... l=RonPaulk

Is where I found out.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: power-loc for MFT type tops

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Thanks. Hadn't seen these. Boy are they expensive but look well built and designed. I don't have an immediate need for these, but would be interested in seeing your thoughts on them once you get them.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've been working on, well paper so to speak designs, of a side table with a maximum 5 x 5 array of hole. It has the standard 96mm spacing and 20mm holes. Then depending on what I need or want I can either do a quick change to eliminate holes or simply not put them in. The one on the left is the main design and the one on the left is the first application I plan to build. This will be done in two separate operation, the hole grid then the feature design.
small side table for mft.jpg
small side table for mft.jpg (107.68 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
The feature design for this one will be for a table insert. This insert has a couple of flavors, one for an oscillating sand and then I will get a router insert for my compact router. You will have to imagine the mft like hole already in place then adding this:
imperal insert.jpg
imperal insert.jpg (59.74 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
I have to add more details, in particular some slots for a fence (router version). I have to decide if I want to make a fence or use one off an existing router table or simply clamp a board in place. I may go with the clamped board to start with and see how that goes, I can always make changes later.

When I ordered the power-loc earlier today there were just under 300 in stock, now there are 88. Looks like initial sales are going well.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I guess for completeness I should point to the table inserts I plan to use. I have a look alike sander and have them together so I know they fit. I am just leaving the baseplate attached to the sander for a little broader base.

https://www.rockler.com/convertible-ben ... dle-sander

Then I plan to get this:

https://www.rockler.com/compact-router- ... uter-table

Which happens to work with the dewalt compact routers I have.

They also have a midsize router model that fits dewalt, porter cable and hitachi router I own so at some point in the future I could even go that route....r. The advantage of the mid-size one is that there are inserts that will allow larger bits to be used but not sure how good an idea that would be.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My pair arrived and I have unboxed them and heading to the shop to see how they work. I think if they work well I will order another pair. My though is that working farther from the edge where needing to have access to the bottom of the table for screwing in knobs is more difficult a top only solution will be nice.
pl1.jpg
pl1.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Still haven't cut any material yet. But I have purchased the second insert I have planned for this top. I thought I'd post a few pictures so it easy to imagine what is going on here in case it wasn't clear.

The item I just got is the Compact Baseplate from Rockler. I got it so I could use my DeWalt 611 in it. The plate is drilled for the Bosch Colt 1.25hp and 1 hp, Makita RT0700C and RT0701C, the porter cable 731 and 450. It might fit others??

It comes with a bag of screws but I just used the ones I took out of the existing sub base. It has a very necessary starter pin but only one location for it.

It has what they call the baseplate, the blue part and the router plate which is the clear part. You can use them together or remove the router plate and have a round sub base to use that is larger then the one that comes with my router.
bp1.jpg
bp1.jpg (67.09 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
bp2.jpg
bp2.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
bp4.jpg
bp4.jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
bp5.jpg
bp5.jpg (81.95 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
bp6.jpg
bp6.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Later I will post a picture of the sander with the sander mounted to the baseplate.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here are the pictures of the sander mounted to the Rockler plate. There are several names on these sanders and it seems the only differences are the names. I got mine from MLCS but as you can see it fits.
sdp1.jpg
sdp1.jpg (131.28 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
spd3.jpg
spd3.jpg (149.22 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
spd2.jpg
spd2.jpg (107.44 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Finally started cutting some MDF today. I didn't want to start cold on the project and wreck my costly MDF sheet so I did a test cut on some scrap. Since I started out without a drawing of the Rockler insert and since I did it the measurements using a cheap plastic rule sitting at my desk I knew the results would not be all that perfect hence the prototype. I also wanted to see if I could get away with using 1/2" MDF or if I should stick to the safer 3/4".

So this is the cutout:
co1.jpg
co1.jpg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
The plate didn't fit, so using a off-set I made the opening larger until it fit. The off-set takes material off all the way around and the fit issue was with the long dimension. So when it fit that way the sides were a lot larger then they needed to be as.
co2.jpg
co2.jpg (169.53 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
A close up shows how bad the fit:
co3.jpg
co3.jpg (254.86 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
co4.jpg
co4.jpg (231.77 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
So back to the drawing board to make some changes. I did decide that I will use 3/4" material, so that was good news as I have a sheet of that larger enough for this project.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Cut it out with the Shaper Origin??? Should provide a perfect fit.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The SO did fine but my drawing was off. The insert doesn't have an official drawing from Rockler so I had to make my own. Didn't have the right tools and to lazy to go in the cold shop for them so used a plastic rule and some guessing. The original cut out wouldn't fit the plate and I really needed to get it in to test the depth. A simple solution was to do an off-set cut. By the time I had the plate fitting top to bottom the sides were now over sized. But I did get to check the height and get a feel for the thickness.

I have now made changes and am ready to try again. Not sure I have it right so might do another test but this time I only need to do the shape and then only deep enough to check the fit so not as long a process. It would not surprise me that I would need a third turn around to get it fitting the way I want. I'm not planning on screwing the plate to the table so it really needs to not move around when inserted especially for the router application.

Ed