Woodpeckers 1283 - Cool Tool or Fool Tool???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Woodpeckers 1283 - Cool Tool or Fool Tool???

Post by RFGuy »

Woodpeckers just announced a new 12" square built out of G10 composite material (high-end fiberglass). They are pitching it as an outdoor square that is well suited for construction sites, etc. The marketing even goes so far as to pitch it as a bulletproof square. While I really like the color scheme on this square, I think it is a product in search of a niche. I find it hard to believe that those working in construction will find value in this square on the jobsite and be willing to pay the premium for it. What do you think?
https://www.woodpeck.com/woodpeckers-12 ... quare.html
Woodpeckers1283_small.jpg
Woodpeckers1283_small.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers 1283 - Cool Tool or Fool Tool???

Post by dusty »

I cannot imagine a carpenter with a $120 square in his tool box, Life expectancy of a tool like this on a work site is too short.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I'd vote fool's tool. There is little if any reason to have the level of accuracy Woodpecker's is known for in an outdoor tool. Construction tools take a beating and I know from experience that Woodpecker's tools aren't up to that task while remaining accurate. They should stay safely in the shop and where they can be treated properly.

A 12x8 steel square can be had for $3 at Menards and if you lose it, damage it, or it gets stolen, you just buy another.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I wonder if they are mis-marketing it. Their ad pitched construction uses but they talk about it being able to take a beating, e.g. being dropped, etc. I wonder if this product is Woodpeckers attempt to counter criticisms about their expensive squares and concerns about dropping them on concrete shop floors. I think there could be a small market for a product like this directed at woodworkers who want a high precision square that is more tolerant of being dropped on the floor in the shop. I know some woodworkers choose to have two sets of tools, e.g. one expensive square/caliper/ruler to use as a reference and multiple cheaper squares/calipers/rulers for everyday use. This square might be an alternative option to have one and only high quality square in the shop that you don't have to panic and have a heart attack if you drop it. Just a thought...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Sounds like another entry in the world of "Gentlemen's Tools". Tools of finer quality than is practical for the professional or the typical home woodworker. If you think you have enough tools and you have money left over then of course you'd want the gold plated fountain pen version of square. How you can have enough tools is something I have difficulty understanding, but if you have the money to spend just for a top end luxury version of a square then congratulations, and please enjoy.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I can almost see having one of these. I have a 1281 and use it as a reference rather then an every day sort of tool. I want it to stay as perfect as it is and if it were an everyday sort of tool I would more then likely drop it and more then a couple of times a season. This new version I could see as an everyday tool, tough enough to be used that way. In fact if it were say $69 I would place an order but too much at $120. Good idea but bad price point for me and that is saying a lot.

I'm not sure of the marketing idea as it a bit over kill for general carpentry but of course there is the Festool is a premium price item but still used by a lot of trades people so maybe they want the square???

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:34 pm I can almost see having one of these. I have a 1281 and use it as a reference rather then an every day sort of tool. I want it to stay as perfect as it is and if it were an everyday sort of tool I would more then likely drop it and more then a couple of times a season. This new version I could see as an everyday tool, tough enough to be used that way. In fact if it were say $69 I would place an order but too much at $120. Good idea but bad price point for me and that is saying a lot.

I'm not sure of the marketing idea as it a bit over kill for general carpentry but of course there is the Festool is a premium price item but still used by a lot of trades people so maybe they want the square???

Ed
For use on a job site, where you cut mostly rafters,studs and sheet goods for the roof. I feel the same about Festool. My old Craftsman 8" will cut studs right along side of any Festool you might bring to the job site. No dust collection needed and only as accurate as the user.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Cool tool, fool target. If I didn't already have a 1281 that I bought barely used at a good price, I might be tempted by one of these. I can't see carpenters purchasing this at this price. Rather, more likely to buy one or more of rafter, combination, or carpenter squares at $5-20, depending.

It will be interesting to see if Woodpeckers uses this material for other things, such as their rules.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

With all the houses going up around mine, I have not seen any of the builders use a regular carpenter's square, all I have seen are speed squares around here. I do not think any of them even know how to use a carpenter's square. They use pre-built rafters with only the jack rafters to be cut on site. Last time I saw a special group show up just to cut and install the jack rafters then leave. The crew that was working on the house, started laying the roof sheathing while the other crew did the jack rafters. Even the trim carpenters that I have seen use a speed square.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

dusty wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:12 pm For use on a job site, where you cut mostly rafters,studs and sheet goods for the roof. I feel the same about Festool. My old Craftsman 8" will cut studs right along side of any Festool you might bring to the job site. No dust collection needed and only as accurate as the user.
I have a Festool TS75 and while it is great for panel cutting in the shop, the plunge cut is a pain the butt for cutting studs. I have a black and decker 8" saw from the 80's that usually does that job.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER