Woodpeckers 1283 - Cool Tool or Fool Tool???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers 1283 - Cool Tool or Fool Tool???

Post by RFGuy »

twistsol wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:54 pm
dusty wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:12 pm For use on a job site, where you cut mostly rafters,studs and sheet goods for the roof. I feel the same about Festool. My old Craftsman 8" will cut studs right along side of any Festool you might bring to the job site. No dust collection needed and only as accurate as the user.
I have a Festool TS75 and while it is great for panel cutting in the shop, the plunge cut is a pain the butt for cutting studs. I have a black and decker 8" saw from the 80's that usually does that job.
I don't know how popular Festool is in the trades in the USA. Finish carpentry requires more precision and finesse than framing, so I believe some go with Festool for tracksaw and miter saws because of this. It was my understanding that for framing (rough) carpentry Festool tends to push their HK 55 and HKC 55 products which are a totally different beast than a standard circular saw or the tracksaw used in finish carpentry. Again, I don't know how prevalent these get purchased by trades in this country, but there are advantages to them. The HK can be used alone as a straight up circular saw or can be used on a Festool track, but there is also a special FSK (short) track for it that mounts on the saw. The FSK track makes it a sliding circular saw because one part of the track is fixed and the other slides. In the videos that I have seen of it you can quickly cut multiple boards at the same time which would be a productivity boost for repetitive cuts. Never tried one myself, but the videos that I have seen make it look compelling for framing work. Not trying to talk anyone into Festool, but tools like this exist because some contractor decided that there was a speed improvement because of these types of features and bought one. Otherwise they would go out of business.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/po ... saw/27201/

Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

If you are doing studs you should get the Festool HKC 55. I mean, you are already down the rabbit hole
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I do not know what framers are using today but in the 2000-2010 they were using Makita saws. Reason they could take a fall from a 8-12 feet onto concrete and survive. Framers drop tools and need tools that can take falls from side walls onto the concrete or sub floor without failure. I watched a ton of frame carpenters and I can not think of another saw being used. Now I realized times have changed and most have gone to cordless, which I do not know but I guess it is the saw that can take a fall and survive.
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

My issue is that I find it hard to find a large square that's accurate to begin with. I have a 48 inch drywall square and a 24 inch carpenters square and neither is worth a damn. I would like to find a 24 inch carpenter's square that IS accurate - and as with most accurate tools, you then need to care for it better than your other tools.
I understand that for a professional on-site carpenter, these tools will not last. But for me, who does hobbyist work and most of my own carpentry on my house, I'm tired of discovering the cut is off and I trace it back to a square thats 1/8 off over 24 inches. And buy another square and it's just the same.
So I don't know if this one is any good, but I am in the market for a 24 inch square that is ACCURATE. It's then my responsibility to keep it that way.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

tucsonguy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:46 am My issue is that I find it hard to find a large square that's accurate to begin with. I have a 48 inch drywall square and a 24 inch carpenters square and neither is worth a damn. I would like to find a 24 inch carpenter's square that IS accurate - and as with most accurate tools, you then need to care for it better than your other tools.
I understand that for a professional on-site carpenter, these tools will not last. But for me, who does hobbyist work and most of my own carpentry on my house, I'm tired of discovering the cut is off and I trace it back to a square thats 1/8 off over 24 inches. And buy another square and it's just the same.
So I don't know if this one is any good, but I am in the market for a 24 inch square that is ACCURATE. It's then my responsibility to keep it that way.
Woodpeckers has a 26" square that is 0.001" accurate per foot of measurement, but there are other brands with accurate large format squares as well. Unfortunately, to get an accurate square costs $$$.

https://www.woodpeck.com/woodpeckers-26 ... uares.html
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

tucsonguy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:46 am My issue is that I find it hard to find a large square that's accurate to begin with. I have a 48 inch drywall square and a 24 inch carpenters square and neither is worth a damn. I would like to find a 24 inch carpenter's square that IS accurate - and as with most accurate tools, you then need to care for it better than your other tools.
Have you considered making an English Square.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDhTsUDbPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujzD_jW7zk8
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

If you don't want to shell big bucks out for an accurate square, it is possible to adjust garden-variety steel framing squares.

This guy uses a transfer punch to "persuade" the square to 90°, but other people recommend striking it directly with a ball-peen hammer. It seems to me that the latter would distribute the stresses more evenly.