More On Disappointed In MiterSet

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

adrianpglover
Gold Member

Re: More On Disappointed In MiterSet

Post by adrianpglover »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:05 pm If the saw blade is not parallel to the miter track, it will cut an ever-so-slight cove profile onto the end of the workpiece. But it will still be square to the workpiece reference edge (which is placed against the face of the miter gauge). That's assuming that the misalignment is not so bad that the workpiece hits the plate of the saw blade, of course.

I know that's counter-intuitive, but the fact is that all the cutting happens at the leading edge of the saw blade. And if you measure the distance from leading edge of the saw blade to the miter slot, it will be constant, regardless of their relative angle.
From my experience the saw blade will cut anywhere the teeth make contact with the wood. Now I exclusively use carbide tipped blades, but this is still true. The teeth will still cut on the back side of the cut, so once you pass the wood through the blade all the way you can get a cut that is off angle, if your miter slots are misaligned from the blade.

I do agree that it would be a slightly coved cut, but depending upon the grain of wood used it may be difficult to determine that. It also would be hard to tell if you're also talking about the movement of the table separate from the blade, as a little pressure on the table of a SS will make the table lean enough to change your cut.

When measuring the distance from the miter slot to the blade, it is important to measure the distance to one particular tooth on the blade, both at the point where that tooth would meet the table at the front and rear of the saw. This way you can tell if the blade is parallel with the slot.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
fhahnel
Silver Member

Post by fhahnel »

Price on the "standard" is shocking!

I paid 29.50 three years ago and now it's $79 ?

WOW
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Maybe one of the rules of economics is working. Demand drives the price!

Then maybe old age is getting to you. It might have been more than three years since you could buy a Miter Set for $30. That's about what I paid but I bought mine several years ago when it was still made of wood.

I know! Check your receipt and post a copy here. Maybe I am the one who doesn't know beans.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

I've been gone for a bit with other items needing attention but I'm back trying to catch up
I really think what I've found is that using the SS miter gauge alone to cut segments even as low number as 8 may be an exercise in futility.
The table needs to be braced with an extension table and tubes also.
Angle AND length need to be right on for perfect fits of course
For my needs I'm looking into a small adjustable sled just for my octagon pieces for my clocks
I'll report back what I decide on after reading all that I have missed here lately
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Cliffy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 am I've been gone for a bit with other items needing attention but I'm back trying to catch up
I really think what I've found is that using the SS miter gauge alone to cut segments even as low number as 8 may be an exercise in futility.
For my needs I'm looking into a small adjustable sled just for my octagon pieces for my clocks
I'll report back what I decide on after reading all that I have missed here lately
So...It sounds as though your discontent is really NOT with the Miter Set but rather with other items involved in the process.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So a sled that creates near 22.5° miters that are compilmentary(at 45°) would be a solution?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't believe that two angles that add to 45°or anything other than 90°) are considered "complementary".

I also do not believe that real success will be achieved just because of the sled. What happens if two pieces that were not cut together end up together in the frame? At least one joint (and probably at least two) will not be 45°.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK the 45° in parenthesis was to acknowledge that slight deviation from strict usage. The intended meaning was that even though the two mating miters were not dead on 22.5° they 'compliment' each other thus providing a perfect 45°joint.

However that assumes the sled is dead on just like a 90° miter joint sled.(positioning relative to the blade can deviate, but the 90°degree angle must be correct)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have just been told by someone whose opinions I normally respect that I am dead wrong. She says that "As long as all of the angles add up to 360° all is well". I don't believe that but time will tell.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Cliffy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 am
If the source of the problem is in the SS, then wouldn't a sled require the same bracing?
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser