More On Disappointed In MiterSet

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: More On Disappointed In MiterSet

Post by RFGuy »

This may not be helpful, but I couldn't find much online regarding reviews of the MiterSet Segments. In general, the few reviews that I could find were generally favorable of this product. The forum linked below complained of similar issues with angle errors accumulating on using the MiterSet Segments for an 8 segment ring. Once they aligned their tablesaw supposedly to 0.0005" they were able to get perfect results using the MiterSet Segments. Given this to do the same on a Mark V would require a good table alignment and would require the connector rods to stabilize the main table to the aux table, I think. Unfortunately, after the success with the ring, the person in the forum below then tried to use the same setup to make a segmented lid and it did NOT turn out so they switched to a solid lid, but never reported back on whether they found the source of their error for the segmented lid. My assumption is that they could get away with the small angle error on segmented rings, but when trying to make a solid top (segmented pie pieces) that the full length reference surface on each segment further revealed the angle error causing fit issues.

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7330840
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

All this consternation over miter bar slop. Anyone bothered to calculate what that slop does to the resultant angle of the face of the miter gauge?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

With the same slop the more segments per wheel the more gap
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Not so much consternation as just hoping a forum member with more experience in segmented turning would comment. Unfortunately, activity has been greatly reduced on this forum lately...probably one of those threads where in 5 years someone will come back with feedback. :rolleyes:
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:21 am Not so much consternation as just hoping a forum member with more experience in segmented turning would comment. Unfortunately, activity has been greatly reduced on this forum lately...probably one of those threads where in 5 years someone will come back with feedback. :rolleyes:
I agree with all you have said but the primary discussion here was not about segmented turning. It was about the MiterSet being inaccurate due to a loose fit with the miter bar. Certainy, if the miter bar is sloppy the cuts are going to be "inconsistent".

I believe the OP declared .009" of miter bar movement in the slot on the MiterSet. That is a great deal more movement than I would expect.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:09 pm This may not be helpful, but I couldn't find much online regarding reviews of the MiterSet Segments. In general, the few reviews that I could find were generally favorable of this product. The forum linked below complained of similar issues with angle errors accumulating on using the MiterSet Segments for an 8 segment ring. Once they aligned their tablesaw supposedly to 0.0005" they were able to get perfect results using the MiterSet Segments. Given this to do the same on a Mark V would require a good table alignment and would require the connector rods to stabilize the main table to the aux table, I think. Unfortunately, after the success with the ring, the person in the forum below then tried to use the same setup to make a segmented lid and it did NOT turn out so they switched to a solid lid, but never reported back on whether they found the source of their error for the segmented lid. My assumption is that they could get away with the small angle error on segmented rings, but when trying to make a solid top (segmented pie pieces) that the full length reference surface on each segment further revealed the angle error causing fit issues.

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7330840
Yup, he said .0005". If that is what is required to the table saw to cut acceptable segments - forget doing it on the Shopsmith table saw. However, I seriously doubt and claim of .0005" (.0127 Millimeters) precision on any table saw and especially any table saw that we might have in our garage shops.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Dusty,

There only seem to be a few of us that own the MiterSet Standard who are active on the forum recently. When it comes to the MiterSet Segments product, intended to make it easier to cut wood segments, I think Cliffy and I are the only two who have it based on the lack of feedback on the forum. Sooo, I think this is a niche of a niche product. This is why I made reference to anyone doing segmented woodturnings on their Shopsmith. Granted they may be doing it with a different setup than a MiterSet Segments, but might be able to comment on how they achieve the required accuracy and what setup they use to do so. For sure you can make other things with a MiterSet Segments but the most common application is a segmented woodturning.
📶RF Guy

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Even though I don't turn, I found this calculator interesting. It highlights the dimensional precision required.

https://www.blocklayer.com/woodturning-segments.aspx

This web site has a number of very interesting and educational calculators.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

In my octagon cuttings I need to key off of both long sides of the molding (with the SS miter) which I think may, in itself, induce some error.
If a sled is used (rather than the miter gauge itself) that has a very long runner in the slot (cut to fit the slot very closely) this may be the best way to go. I will be trying this also in the near future. The long runner in table top will (should ) allow less error to be introduced along with being able to cut both ends by keying off the same side of the molding rather than having to swap sides.
Getting the correct 22 1/2 degree angle for the 8 sided polygon is the issue but I think I have that solved also but it may take a little trial and error once built. Once built however it will never change again.
To be honest I'm not too sure the MiterSet (in the SS) will be able to hold the tolerances needed for closed end multi segment turnings