More On Disappointed In MiterSet

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: More On Disappointed In MiterSet

Post by RFGuy »

Clify,

You may find this previous forum thread to be useful:

viewtopic.php?p=254590#p254590

I also came across this Sawmill Creek forum thread on cutting segments. There were differing opinions on which is the more critical dimension for segments, e.g. is it the angle or the length of each segment that matters more? Apparently for the larger # of segments, like 16 or more, it sounds like the woodworkers doing this are treating it more like a machinist would, e.g. using a micrometer instead of a ruler. Even 1/64" is too much error in the length of a segment for these segmented assemblies with many sides.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php ... of-an-inch
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I'm following this thread with interest because I historically struggled getting great miters using the miter gauge. As far as I know that was 100% because of my limitations accurately and repeatedly setting the gauge, including the complementary angle for the other end to maintain edge and face references. When I wanted a great fit I always adjusted with the disc sander. Years ago I went to the Miter-Pro, also from SS, this was way before the MiterSet was offered. It works well within its limitations, meaning four-sided objects. Neither tool is great out of the box for compound angles, but both can presumably help.

It is interesting to me that SS offers two 'perfect miter' solutions, one of which aims to help accurately and repeatedly set the miter gauge angle while the other attempts to solve the exact same problem by taking the miter gauge out of the equation. Two expensive tools, aimed at the same objective, that cannot be used together... Neither is perfect, there are way too many variables in cutting the perfect miter to solve addressing only this one aspect. On paper the MiterSet is the superior solution, sets way more angles for flexibility while costing much less than the Miter-Pro. My tentative conclusion is that if the MiterSet did not make the Miter-Pro obsolete that can only be because it is not quite as reliable, accurate, or repeatable at the one thing the Miter-Pro does. I've never used a Miterset, but I'm trying to determine its utility. It seems like a great idea even for the Miter-Pro (or other miter jig) owner. I'd like to see the manufacturer make an actual accuracy statement, or add accuracy to the angle table, because it is a bit of a red flag for me. The tool only does one thing, it shouldn't be too much to ask that the supplier state how accurately it does that.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:00 pm It is interesting to me that SS offers two 'perfect miter' solutions,
David,

Keep in mind that the MiterSet product is a 3rd party company, so it isn't so much that Shopsmith offers two different solutions. It is that the MiterSet competes with the Shopsmith Miter-Pro and Shopsmith happens to allow a competitor to advertise on their website. I have mostly just used my MiterSet Standard to set 90° on my Shopsmith miter gauge. For people like me that are lazy it works great for quickly and accurately setting the angle. I haven't used the other angles as much on it. I decided to go ahead and purchase both MiterSet products together for the small discount so I have the MiterSet Standard and the MiterSet Segments, but like I said already on this thread I haven't actually used my MiterSet Segments yet.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I went down the micrometer-adjustment rathole myself not long ago. With a track saw, that is, and it worked out nicely. It’s hard to beat a 4-1/2’ long “miter bar”, for which you can eliminate all slop.

Here’s some 6” wide acid-test segments, with no post-processing. (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Chrysler. :D )
6BC69A96-3D0A-43A0-B300-327415BB78EE.jpeg
6BC69A96-3D0A-43A0-B300-327415BB78EE.jpeg (149.63 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

Looks like a perfect 36 degrees!
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: The MiterSet Debut

Post by dusty »

In the beginning there was no miter set and I used an engineer's square. Then along came the MiterSet from MomandPop.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2662&p=28868&hilit=MiterSet#p28868
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Dusty,

Thanks for that thread...it was an interesting read. I didn't know the origins (RAS) of the MiterSet or that it didn't always have tapered pins. Also nice to know it is a Mom and Pop kind of operation which I always enjoy supporting over the larger, more established companies. If found it really hard to believe that they got the patent approved in only 4 months! That must be a new record for patent submissions in the modern era.
📶RF Guy

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:06 am Dusty,

Thanks for that thread...it was an interesting read. I didn't know the origins (RAS) of the MiterSet or that it didn't always have tapered pins. Also nice to know it is a Mom and Pop kind of operation which I always enjoy supporting over the larger, more established companies. If found it really hard to believe that they got the patent approved in only 4 months! That must be a new record for patent submissions in the modern era.

It was a Mom and Pop in the beginning but I believe that has changed. I believe that what is now on the market is being produced by an outfit that purchased marketing rights from Dick Pattee and his wife.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Actually Dick Partee died and his wife sold(I assume) the rights to the products etc.. Original version was made from a wood(BB?) base. The current manufacturer changed to the aluminum base.

Interesting post there re the short width of the SS miter gauge face. i.e. we fergit it has been raised before!

viewtopic.php?p=31375#p31375
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

DLB wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:00 pm . Years ago I went to the Miter-Pro, also from SS, this was way before the MiterSet was offered. It works well within its limitations, meaning four-sided objects.
- David
Over the years I have been enlisted by my artist wife to build picture frames for her pieces. About ten or fifteen years ago she asked me to do a run of about 30 identical frames. I knew it was going to be a really difficult task, so I decided to go for the Miter Pro. And it worked great. I am currently doing another run of 12 identical frames for her and the Miter Pro is making it an easy job. So, while I really like the Miter Pro, it can't do what the Miter Set does and I think the Miter Set is a completely different animal. Once the Miter Pro has been set up, as long as the proper sequence of cuts is followed, a right angle corner is guaranteed. The Miter Set, though, isn't a jig that will hold the workpiece during cutting. It will give you the perfect angle for whatever you want to build, but it won't hold that angle through the cut like the Miter Pro will.
Maybe what would help with cutting segments would be not just a longer fence but a longer fence that is also equipped with some vertical hold downs to clamp the segments in place. So what I am imagining is an L-shaped sled attached to the face of the miter gauge. After setting the miter gauge with the Miter Set, the workpiece would be snugged up to the fence and clamped down to the sled for the cut. Sorry no picture, but hope this is clear.
Maybe somebody who knows his way around Sketch-up might be able to draw it.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser