Rockler Quick-Lever Aluminum Clamp

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Rockler Quick-Lever Aluminum Clamp

Post by reible »

These clamps are relatively new to Rockler and had caught my attention in my never ending proclivity for finding just the right clamp for just the right job.
clamp.jpg
clamp.jpg (100.6 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
This is more like a toggle clamp in that you slide the moving jaw into place then squeeze to apply the force. To relieve the pressure you pull up on the end of the lever and it uses a cam action to aid in the release. This is not some sort of clamp that pulls loose stuff together, it needs to be snug before you clamp, in other words it has limited travel during engagement. It has an adjustment for clamping force, a dial that gets you up to a claimed 660 pounds of clamping force. It is mostly metal, and that is a good thing, well unless you don't like the weight, they are heavy.

I went with the smallest version, 6" and for most things this will do me fine but I do expect to add at least a second one of this size and possibly a pair of the 12". They are not cheap, the 6" is $22 and 12" $25. I do hope they put them on sale or give me a discount coupon at some point to buy the rest.

Long term use is still a question, while I had these all of about 8 days and only played with them a couple of times over those days I can not say how well they will do in the long term. I can say so far so good.

I previously did a mini review of the DuoKlamp, a very different type from this and I'm glad for the two very different functions they provide. You can find that here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24711

As you know you can never have too many clamps.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Benizel
Bronze Member

Re: Rockler Quick-Lever Aluminum Clamp

Post by Benizel »

Yeah, that's true, you can never have too many clamps. Almost two years ago, I had no idea what a toggle clamp is, and how it should be used. When the pandemic started, I wanted to finish some of the renovations in my house on my own. If I waited till everything calmed down, I would still live paying rent. If you buy good quality products you don't need tons of pieces. For example, you can have a small quality collection of five products and be more practical than a collection of ten inexpensive products.