Dust Right® Detail Vacuum Kit first look

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Dust Right® Detail Vacuum Kit first look

Post by reible »

This item was on sale last month and I picked one up at the store on my last trip there. It's now back to its regular $19.99 from the sale price of $14.99.

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-detail-vacuum-kit-2
dr1.jpg
dr1.jpg (181.4 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
dr2.jpg
dr2.jpg (197.72 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
The next thing I needed to answer is if I could use the 27mm hose from my Festool CT26. Happy to report it fits.

That is about as far as I got so far and now have to get on to other things. I think my first use will be cleaning out all those nooks and crannies on my shopsmith bandsaw. Next will be cleaning up my mitersaw. I can see this as being a nice addition and while the old straw in the block of wood works it just isn't as cool as a real tool for the job, well if it works as well as I hope.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Dust Right® Detail Vacuum Kit first look

Post by jsburger »

I hope that didn't bust your tool budget! :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Sometimes happiness only lasts 30 seconds.

I have a video that I have to look at to see if its good enough to post but for now let me explain what happened.

I pulled the cover off the bandsaw and set up the camera but not sure how well you can see the action but recorded anyway. I started sucking out the dust and yes it gets in those hard to reach spots. After only very short time you can here the CT26 give out the blocked airflow signal. Sure enough the tip was clogged. OK that is a bit surprise as this dust is really fine. Tapping out the tip the sawdust came out but when looking inside it looked like the airway was very restricted. I don't know how they make these but either the flashing or debris field from a process had left a lot of plastic inside. Pushing a dowel in hit a lot of resistance and the plastic was attached.

I contacted Rocker about this and they recommended I return it. Problem is the box is long gone and I really don't go out that way very often and who likes to take time to drive around when you want to get a project or two done.

So I attached the plastic and while it now opened up pretty well the edges inside are far from smooth and I fear will continue catching sawdust. Haven't tried yet.

Moral of the story is if you order one check the attachments first off. If you shop in the store ask to open the box and have a look before buying. Or perhaps the safe bet is to just pass on this.

I have not tried the angled attachment so I have no idea if it too is defective or will work fine. So I'm heading back to the shop to check that out and to see if I can get a sharp chisel inside and clean out some more ruff edged plastic.........

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The video is uploading. Notice the sound of the CT26 when it detects the blockage.

https://youtu.be/8yy5XpFZ4ZU

While this was uploading I finished my clean up of the attachment. Here is a shot of the material that I removed but not all of it fell where I could collect it so there was more then shown.
drr1.jpg
drr1.jpg (219.47 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
After a bit more work it appears usable and I will try it out on the mitersaw and finish the small amount I didn't get done on the bandsaw so I can button it back up and cut some blanks for a project maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I didn't want to comment until you had had a chance to use it, but since you had some issues with it, I will comment on an alternative. I haven't tried this myself, but to do the same thing, without Rockler, many just take a small square piece of cardboard/plywood and put a hole in it just big enough for a straw to fit through. It needs to be a snug fit. Then you put it into the end of your ShopVac hose and voila you have a small crevice tool to use for sawdust in cracks, etc. The suction holds the cardboard flat to the end of the house allowing most of the airflow to go through the straw. Could do the same thing with vinyl hose instead of the straw if you need a longer reach. Like I said, haven't tried it myself yet but it works well and low tech/low cost. Sorry this Rockler product didn't work as well you were hoping it would.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yes this is what I was referring to in my first post. " I can see this as being a nice addition and while the old straw in the block of wood works it just isn't as cool as a real tool for the job, well if it works as well as I hope." I'll try to get a picture later in case anyone is having trouble picturing this. Have to go back to the shop anyway for some other stuff.....

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is the cheap and dirty way of doing the dust collection in smaller size. It is simply a block of material just bigger then the end of your vacuum hose with a hole the size of a straw in it. Since straws come in many sizes you can get by adding some tape to the straw to make it larger, of course if the straw is to big then you have to drill it out.

In the first picture you can't tell but I have the vacuum on holding the block and straw in place.
str1.jpg
str1.jpg (157.6 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
These next two shot pretty much show it all:
str2.jpg
str2.jpg (163.89 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
str3.jpg
str3.jpg (119.84 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
I've never had the straw sucked in but I would guess it could happen, another reason for the tape.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

After the final filing of the hole it seems like it will be OK. Used a round file that was designed for sharpening chain saw chains. Might have been able to do the whole process that way but I'll never know since I didn't go that way.

Anyway the band saw and the miter saw are all cleaned up and ready to get dusty again. Have some pen like blanks to cut for a couple more give ideas I want to try out. Slow getting back at it this spring.

Ed