MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Post by RFGuy »

How much does it flex with the caliper installed? Just wondering if it is hard plastic or something softer. Reason I ask is you need to maintain that 90°so that you get consistent readings as you move it to measure across the sawblade, reference plate, etc. I may be overthinking this, but just wondering if the fact that it is plastic will affect your ability to get a good alignment or not.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:10 am
rpd wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:07 pm Re picture orientation, it is a "feature" of the phpBBS software,
The easiest way to deal with it is to take all your pictures with the phone in the "landscape" orientation.
It is a feature of using a phone for a camera.

A camera does not play the orientation game.

Neither does the forum software.
I was just going for the short explanation this time. ;)

The phone/camera stores all photos as if they were taken in landscape mode to minimise processing time, but also stores a flag in the metadata as to what the actual orientation was,
Most software that displays photos will take that flag into account and adjust the orientation accordingly, the programmers at phpBBS have chosen not to do that.
Photo editing programs can be used to rotate the photo, but the one I use on my computor, Shotwell, doesn't do it in a way that works with phpBBS, the image doesn't rotate, but the horizontal and vertical pixel count does, so the image is distorted too. :( Your results may vary.

So I set my phone camera to take square ( 1:1 ) photos, and hold the phone with the long side horizontal (landscape mode), and the photos post correctly without manipulation (other than reducing pixel count and files size). :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Think hard about how you would use this MAG-PRO as a table alignment tool on your Shopsmith.
Like Dennis I am thinking of other uses than just alignment. For one, once you know the precise distance from the miter slot to the blade as a reference you could use it to set the fence or any number of jigs dependent on the position of the blade. I also have a miter slot on my router table that it could be used on to set the fence position. Jigs that you make could easily incorporate an accurate digital adjustment by just including a miter slot in them. Pretty small investment for all those possibilities.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:13 am How much does it flex with the caliper installed? Just wondering if it is hard plastic or something softer. Reason I ask is you need to maintain that 90°so that you get consistent readings as you move it to measure across the sawblade, reference plate, etc. I may be overthinking this, but just wondering if the fact that it is plastic will affect your ability to get a good alignment or not.
I don't want to initiate a debate over this but it all depends on just how precise the readings "NEED" to be.

The same debate can be had over whether or not the Shopsmith miter bar has too much slop in the miter track.

There was a time not all that long along that I would enter that debate. No more. Now days, striving for .005" is over kill. That sort of precision is needed if you are pressed to create invisible joints; otherwise NO.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Pretty interesting little device.

The one comment I have is that the old dial gauge indicator is spring loaded-so it follows blade surface whether the blade gets closer or further from the miter slot. The Wixey caliper you have (same as mine) tends to hold its position...so if it encounters a high spot (closest to miter slot), it will never register a low spot (further away from miter slot) after that unless you apply pressure to push the depth gauge back against the blade surface.

b
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I'm intrigued. Just a word of caution - the supplier's pics are a standard T-slot and the OP's pics are on a pre-500 (I think) SS table. Neither reflects how this device will get along with the unique SS T-Slot. So if anyone knows, or when someone finds out, please report your experience. I like the idea, obviously a much less expensive method if you want to quantify the alignment error compared to the SS dial gauge setup. But I used to quantify the error with a feeler gauge that was even less expensive.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

sehast wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:48 am Like Dennis I am thinking of other uses than just alignment. For one, once you know the precise distance from the miter slot to the blade as a reference you could use it to set the fence or any number of jigs dependent on the position of the blade...
I'm seeing this as a relative measurement, essentially the same as a dial gauge. Sure, the calipers give me an absolute number, but in reference to what? Can you explain how you'd use this to measure the precise distance from the miter slot to the blade? Seems like I need some precise way to position the caliper in the tool, and I'm not seeing that.

- David
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Just simple addition. Add the distance you measure to the blade to the distance measured to the fence. Some digital calipers have the capability to carry an offset in memory. If that is the case it is even simpler, just read it directly.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:13 pm
sehast wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:48 am Like Dennis I am thinking of other uses than just alignment. For one, once you know the precise distance from the miter slot to the blade as a reference you could use it to set the fence or any number of jigs dependent on the position of the blade...
I'm seeing this as a relative measurement, essentially the same as a dial gauge. Sure, the calipers give me an absolute number, but in reference to what? Can you explain how you'd use this to measure the precise distance from the miter slot to the blade? Seems like I need some precise way to position the caliper in the tool, and I'm not seeing that.

- David
Do you know the precise distance from the edge of the miter slot (or even the center of the miter slot) to the blade when you utilize the Shopsmith dial indicator setup. I think not.

You do know if both the infeed and outfeed side of the blade are equal distance from the blade (thus parallel or not) but not the precise distance.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

With a dial indicator the 'zero' is manually set. Ditto the digital calipers.

My concern would be with those 4 'fingers that allow the body to meander across the miter slot.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange