MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:21 pm I sorta doubt that this thread will ever revert back to the original topic so I am going to take my MAG-DRO to the shop and play.

In departure though I want to report that by filing off the two humps (aka nubs) the MAG-DRO now slides smoothly but tight in the Shopsmith miter slot. The digital caliper will not become my tool of choice for table alignment nor will the Shopsmith Dial Indicator.

When reible introduced me to the SuperBar (by MasterGage), I became a believer. It will be my goto. In fact, I ordered a second one yesterday to fill out my dual dial indicator setup. More on that later - in a different thread.
While this thread did take a side trip, I'd be interested in your observations relative to the original intent of the thread. From what I've read here I'm thinking this is a relatively good and inexpensive alternative to the also relatively good but more expensive SS Dial Indicator setup. I can appreciate why you might like a dual dial indicator setup with the SuperBar, but I think that is a $200+ setup since it would be hard to use effectively without some brand of alignment plate. This is $9 for anyone with a digital (or analog dial?) caliper.

I looked at the SuperBar on Amazon where it has a 2.7 star average review. While I'm looking forward to the reviews here, that would generally be a 'nogo' for me.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:23 pm I looked at the SuperBar on Amazon where it has a 2.7 star average review. While I'm looking forward to the reviews here, that would generally be a 'nogo' for me.

- David
Wow!!! I just read the reviews on Amazon and this product is being skewered. I didn't realize that the black bar that fits in the miter slots is actually made out of plastic, not aluminum. Apparently for some owners this plastic flexes too much to get consistent readings. These reviews would give me pause from ordering it as well.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

miken wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:47 pm
dusty wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:21 pm I sorta doubt that this thread will ever revert back to the original topic so I am going to take my MAG-DRO to the shop and play.
Sorry about that Dusty, but I am glad it went a bit off course or I would have just settled for the way my fence operated. I never really considered it was messed up and could easily be fixed. I am pretty happy with it now. Thanks to all of you for the great advice.

I haven't filed off the bumps on mine yet, was thinking they may wear down some eventually.

Mike -
They will wear down some. They may even wear down as much as I filed off. I estimate (and took some measurements before I filed) that it had to be reduced about 1/64".

I am also thankful that this thread did what it did simply because the ultimate objective of the forum is to assist.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:31 pm
DLB wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:23 pm I looked at the SuperBar on Amazon where it has a 2.7 star average review. While I'm looking forward to the reviews here, that would generally be a 'nogo' for me.

- David
Wow!!! I just read the reviews on Amazon and this product is being skewered. I didn't realize that the black bar that fits in the miter slots is actually made out of plastic, not aluminum. Apparently for some owners this plastic flexes too much to get consistent readings. These reviews would give me pause from ordering it as well.
I have not read the reviews but if they are as you say - I disagree. The jig is not aluminum but is rather some sort of other material (maybe plastic but it does not flex. Not at all.

If the reviews are from people who bought the non-Shopsmith version and they are using it with a Shopsmith I understand but still don't agree with their reviews. Use the right tool for the job.

When I have the time, I'll give you some hard statistics - not opinions to judge by.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:23 pm

In departure though I want to report that by filing off the two humps (aka nubs) the MAG-DRO now slides smoothly but tight in the Shopsmith miter slot. The digital caliper will not become my tool of choice for table alignment nor will the Shopsmith Dial Indicator.

When reible introduced me to the SuperBar (by MasterGage), I became a believer. It will be my goto. In fact, I ordered a second one yesterday to fill out my dual dial indicator setup. More on that later - in a different thread.
While this thread did take a side trip, I'd be interested in your observations relative to the original intent of the thread. From what I've read here I'm thinking this is a relatively good and inexpensive alternative to the also relatively good but more expensive SS Dial Indicator setup. I can appreciate why you might like a dual dial indicator setup with the SuperBar, but I think that is a $200+ setup since it would be hard to use effectively without some brand of alignment plate. This is $9 for anyone with a digital (or analog dial?) caliper.

I looked at the SuperBar on Amazon where it has a 2.7 star average review. While I'm looking forward to the reviews here, that would generally be a 'nogo' for me.

- David
The MAG-DRO does everything it says it does even though it is designed to function in a 3/4" miter slot. It does not fit in the narrower Shopsmith miter slot. Yes, it can be forced into the slot and with force it can be slid back and forth. No wobble what so ever.

With just a little bit of filing it now fits in my Shopsmith miter slot. All the table it was designed for it would wobble.

If you already own a digital caliper, it is an inexpensive tool that will give you equally accurate readings. It you have to buy a caliper - not so much so. I have it and I will use it but it will not be my goto.

As for dual digital dial indicators - I already do that as is shown in the thread I referenced. My jig worked - sorta. Dual indicators are only a convenience unless you like the set up as I do. Strictly personal opinion on this one.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm I have not read the reviews but if they are as you say - I disagree. The jig is not aluminum but is rather some sort of other material (maybe plastic but it does not flex. Not at all.
Dusty,

If you want to check out one of the reviews on Amazon, look at the 3 star review from someone named J. Dubovsky. It is a pretty thorough review that he/she gives on the Superbar and seems to be "fair" but who knows. Main complaint they had is the plastic base is textured and as they continued to use it in their miter slot the plastic wears off causing it to become smooth, which requires re-adjustment to prevent flex. He also complained about the outrigger pins on the bar. Your opinion on the Superbar is very important so we want to continue to hear how it is working for you on your Shopsmith and whether you see any of these issues or not.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:09 pm
dusty wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm I have not read the reviews but if they are as you say - I disagree. The jig is not aluminum but is rather some sort of other material (maybe plastic but it does not flex. Not at all.
Dusty,

If you want to check out one of the reviews on Amazon, look at the 3 star review from someone named J. Dubovsky. It is a pretty thorough review that he/she gives on the Superbar and seems to be "fair" but who knows. Main complaint they had is the plastic base is textured and as they continued to use it in their miter slot the plastic wears off causing it to become smooth, which requires re-adjustment to prevent flex. He also complained about the outrigger pins on the bar. Your opinion on the Superbar is very important so we want to continue to hear how it is working for you on your Shopsmith and whether you see any of these issues or not.
I need more time to use this before I do a detailed review but I have a couple comments.

Textured - not mine. Mine is as smooth as my table top. Plastic - yes but is that all bad. Needs readjustment - it is adjustable but adjusting it is simply a fractional turn of a set screw (actually three set screws). Once adjusted it fits snugly in the miter slot but moves smoothly. Will I move it back and forth in the slot to wear it down to where it is sloppy - I don't think so but time will tell. If it does - it is guaranteed.

There are three versions available to purchase - do those who complain have the correct version? I have two versions. One works better in the Shopsmith than the other. Guess which one works best. Guess what the complaint would be if I used the 3/4" one on the Shopsmith.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think we might be confusing two things here. The Mag-dro and the super bar, two different things and adding confusion to the thread.

It is also worth noting reviews from 10 years ago might no be all that valid as things change. I will do a review of the super bar at some point but from what I have in hand I can't see it being less either a 4 or 5 and more likely a 5 unless something unforeseen shows up in actual alignment that did not show up when I was playing with it doing a check of my alignment.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have not reread my posts but you might be correct. I could be crossing back and forth with my comments.

I have both and have commented on both in the last two or three days. The MAG-DRO works in conjunction with a caliper. There is no specific Shopsmith version but I took a file to mine to make it fit the miter track. It works. It does what it is advertised to do. No complaint.

The SuperBar, offered by MasterGage, also works in the miter track but is designed to utilize a dial indicator. It will undoubtedly become my preferred alignment tool for table to blade alignment. It resolves all of the issues that I have had with the other tools used to date.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty