MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm
miken wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am
dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 am Are the bumps on the 'measuring side'?
. . .

For me, the device shows me the limitations of my saw more than anything. Once I move the table, or even unlock the trunnion, the measurement changes. I just did a test and locking the trunnion changes the measurement 0.005", unlocking it again brings the measurement back to 0.001", not to zero. Not enough to matter to me, but I can tweak the table for more precision when/if needed now.

Hope this helps, Mike -
FWIW ANY measurement should be done with all 'locks' locked.

I am curious if measuring with it locked then unlocking and relocking the trunion in that sequence also results in that 0.001 deviation between before and after.
If this was of concern to me, I would be more interested in how the measurements react whenun locking and relocking the carriage while using a dial indicator. I would expect considerable movement but do anticipate that the precision would be retained.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

miken wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 pm
JPG wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm I am curious if measuring with it locked then unlocking and relocking the trunion in that sequence also results in that 0.001 deviation between before and after.
That's easy enough to check for you. I will report back tonight.
Mike -
dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:17 pm I would expect considerable movement but do anticipate that the precision would be retained.
Yes, I believe you are both correct, and the precision does actually seem to be retained after locking and unlocking. The first pic below is it setup, trunnion locked, and the caliper zeroed out (pics not rotated this time :) ). The second pic is the movement -0.0035" created by unlocking the trunnion. Simply relocking the trunnion again and pushing the caliper to re-contact the plate does in fact return it back to zero, most of the time.

Mike -
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (40.83 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:04 pm
dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am My frustration now is the wait. On the Rockler site the report is that the item "has shipped" and provides a tracking number. Then I apply the tracker and the report is that USPS is waiting for the item from the vendor. Is it shipped or is it in limbo somewhere? I guess we are really in the age age fake news and misimformation. Get use to it.
Dusty, what Rockler's "has shipped" notification really means is that they have purchased the shipping and printed a USPS shipping label. And presumably applied it to your package and placed it in a USPS pickup area. As soon as USPS physically picks up the package, they will scan the label, report it in their possession, and provide a delivery-date estimate. So yes, the "has shipped" status is a bit misleading at this point in time. "Awaiting pickup" would be more accurate.
Shame on me. I complain for nothing. The package that I thought might never leave the origin is now well on its way. The USPS tracker now reports that I could have it by tomorrow. Frustrated for no good reason. :o
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Nope! Not tomorrow. Likely not this week. According to the USPS tracker, it has moved 25.5 miles in the middle of Minnesota.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:22 pm Nope! Not tomorrow. Likely not this week. According to the USPS tracker, it has moved 25.5 miles in the middle of Minnesota.
There is no limit to how wrong I can be. My MagDro arrived USPS today.

I do not consider this a review but let me tell you one thing about it.

It is not sloppy in the miter track. If there is anything to complain about it will be that it is too snug in the miter track. I'm thinking about filing those small bumps off. Without the springy fingers and bumps, the body of the Mag-Dro measures 23/32. The bumps and the springy thinks each add more than a 1/64".

Now with that said - precision becomes a function of the digital caliper and nothing else.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:42 pm
dusty wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:22 pm Nope! Not tomorrow. Likely not this week. According to the USPS tracker, it has moved 25.5 miles in the middle of Minnesota.
There is no limit to how wrong I can be. My MagDro arrived USPS today.

I do not consider this a review but let me tell you one thing about it.

It is not sloppy in the miter track. If there is anything to complain about it will be that it is too snug in the miter track.

Now with that said - precision becomes a function of the digital caliper and nothing else.
I think it is a function of when you check. The tracking info is not updated continuously. Only when the package is scanned at the next location. I always sign up for email notifications for any package. That way USPS (or FEDEX and UPS) send you emails on the progress.

I ordered an item from Oregon on 13 Apr. The company sent me an email with a tracking number saying the item was shipped on 14 Apr. Just as others have said, when I checked it the USPS said a label had been created but they did not have the package yet. This not only happens with the USPS but FEDEX and UPS also. At leas in my experience. Once the USPS scanned the label the tracking said I would get it today and I did. By signing up for email notifications I got an email at every location the package was scanned, when it arrived at the location and when it left the location.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Update on: "MY" MAG-PRO

Post by dusty »

The MAG-PRO does what it is advertised to do very well. It holds a digital caliper firmly while sliding back and forth in a 3/4" miter slot very well.

But, I have a Shopsmith and though I was able to insert the MAG-PRO into the miter slot it fit very tight and was difficult to slide. Not Good.

But then I made a slight modification. I filed to two tiny nubs off of the sides of the MAG-PRO. They measured about 1/64". Now, with the nubs removed the MAG-PRO still fits snugly in the miter slot and is able to be slid back and forth.

With the MAG-PRO riding in the miter slot and with my digital caliper mounted, I am now able to measure the distance to the blade. To make it easy to translate, I put a 1" setup block against the blade and then slide the caliper over to touch the block and zeroed the caliper. In this way I can measured the deviation of the saw blade from the miter track. It measures 1.000" at the point of reference and at every other point the caliper is read as a deviation from 1" (a indication in parallelism or lack thereof).

The MAG-PRO is definitely worth the $9.00 purchase price and especially so if you already own a digital caliper. It will not replace the dial indicator that I use for table alignment because it does not reflect deviations in real time. If an accurate measurement is what you need, this will do it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

miken wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am
dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 am Are the bumps on the 'measuring side'?
Hi Dusty, the device is reversible and can fit in the miter slot in either direction. Again, it is tight with no slop, and holds the caliper very rigid in either direction. For me, on my SS table, the measurements are completely repeatable as long as I don't move the table. Set the caliper, zero it with the depth gauge contacting the blade, slide the caliper back and forth along the miter slot a few times, go back to the original position and it still reads zero. It really cant get any better than that with my caliper (iGaging 6" OriginCal with Fractions).

For me, the device shows me the limitations of my saw more than anything. Once I move the table, or even unlock the trunnion, the measurement changes. I just did a test and locking the trunnion changes the measurement 0.005", unlocking it again brings the measurement back to 0.001", not to zero. Not enough to matter to me, but I can tweak the table for more precision when/if needed now.

Hope this helps, Mike -
Thanks for posting, Mike. I bought one after seeing this thread and even though I modified it some...IT WORKS.

I filed the two bumps almost out of existence. It still fits snugly in the miter track but now slides a bit more easily. I am pleased.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

dusty wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:07 pm Thanks for posting, Mike. I bought one after seeing this thread and even though I modified it some...IT WORKS.
Great, I'm glad this helps someone, just giving back for all the great info I have received from this site.

I went back to Rockler yesterday to get another one, but they were sold out :mad: . I agree that they have more potential purpose than what it's intended for. I am going to make two fence alignment adjustable offset gauges to help quickly align my fence to the miter slot. I just need another Mag DRO and some flat aluminum bar stock the same size as my caliper bar.

Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper