MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Post by JPG »

A straight 1" dowel would be simpler.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 pm A straight 1" dowel would be simpler.
At last, a use for that short connector tube that comes with the Extension Table Brackets! ;) If it is straight...

- David
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 pm A straight 1" dowel would be simpler.
I'm not envisioning the dowel?

I am currently experimenting with a 1/4" steel rod thru the miter gauge stop rod holes (see below pic), but I really need two. I'm trying to do something similar to this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBgceOxkg88 at about 7 minutes 40 seconds. Seems like a good solution for me, but finding aluminum bar stock that fits the Mag DRO is unlikely and I didn't really want to use wood. I am having fun just messing around.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you have already aligned the table (miter track) to be parallel to the blade could you not use a piece of wood)milled to fit in the miter track and simply snug the fence up against that piece of wood (47/64"x 1"x 16")?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 pm If you have already aligned the table (miter track) to be parallel to the blade could you not use a piece of wood)milled to fit in the miter track and simply snug the fence up against that piece of wood (47/64"x 1"x 16")?
Rather than a 1" dowel, consider a 3/4" wood dowel forced tightly into the miter track(along the entire length of the slot). Then butt the fence against it and tighten the bolts. Likely works better with a M5/MV500. Good enough fer a check.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

dusty wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 pm If you have already aligned the table (miter track) to be parallel to the blade could you not use a piece of wood)milled to fit in the miter track and simply snug the fence up against that piece of wood (47/64"x 1"x 16")?
I see what you guys are talking about. Yes, the dowel is a great idea to initially align the fence to the miter track. My problem is when I then move the fence it doesn't stay true when relocking it. Watch this video, skip to about 7:40, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBgceOxkg88

The jigs he makes in the video is supposed work well for quick fence adjustments.

Thanks, Mike -
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

miken wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:44 pm
I see what you guys are talking about. Yes, the dowel is a great idea to initially align the fence to the miter track. My problem is when I then move the fence it doesn't stay true when relocking it. Watch this video, skip to about 7:40, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBgceOxkg88

The jigs he makes in the video is supposed work well for quick fence adjustments.

Thanks, Mike -
My question is, what is not true? We all strive for precision, but in wood working that precision is not 2 or 3 thou. Set the fence for 3" . Cut a piece of stock. Is it consistently 3"? Good enough.

There are no quick adjustments for the SS fence. It requires loosening the fence bolts from the fence casting and adjusting the fence to be parallel the the miter slot. When you lock down the in feed end of the fence that establishes the parallelism. Locking the out feed end only clamps it in place.

I am not sure what the guy in the video is talking about. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:05 pm I am not sure what the guy in the video is talking about. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you are right. I didn't watch the whole video, just the part the OP mentioned, but I couldn't figure out what problem he was trying to solve. Most table saw fences are going to exert a force, either it will end up parallel to the blade plane of rotation or not, when you clamp them down. This jig would work better on the type of router table fence that doesn't really align true. For the Shopsmith it would be better to determine why the OP's fence does not align true. But I noted that I think the OP is using a combination that I have never used, so I'm reluctant to say what is up. With my Greenie, I think the fence was the same as this. But the mothership later introduced some kind of infeed edge on the table that I'm unfamiliar with, but I think it has some play that would impact fence alignment.

Some known 'gotchas' on that fence: Make sure any setscrews are backed out or removed. Those setscrews are intended to deliberately bias the fence out of true for one or two specific operations. And, if this is the fence type with one clamp screw for both infeed and outfeed clamps, it is important that the infeed clamp action precedes the outfeed clamp action. The infeed clamp should true the fence, then the outfeed should hold it true. (Same as other SS fences, but the others have independent controls. Once it is setup correctly on the main table, you need to adjust the extension table so it works there as well. This part I'm very unsure how to do with the OP's hardware, seems like there are more adjustments than are needed.

- David
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

jsburger wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:05 pm My question is, what is not true? We all strive for precision, but in wood working that precision is not 2 or 3 thou. Set the fence for 3" . Cut a piece of stock. Is it consistently 3"? Good enough.
No, It's not consistently 3". What's worse, it sometimes relocks into position with the outfeed end of the fence closer to the blade than the infeed end, which can bind.
jsburger wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:05 pm There are no quick adjustments for the SS fence. It requires loosening the fence bolts from the fence casting and adjusting the fence to be parallel the the miter slot. When you lock down the in feed end of the fence that establishes the parallelism. Locking the out feed end only clamps it in place.
I get the alignment using the bolts on the fence. That is set about as good as I can get it, but if I move the fence it is unpredictable what happens. Maybe my front table rail is warped, worn, not sure.
jsburger wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:05 pm I am not sure what the guy in the video is talking about. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
The guy in the video created two simple slotted rails that can be quickly set to be the same length from the miter slot. By then placing one at the near side and one at the far side he can ensure the fence stays parallel to miter slot.

It's not a big deal, I'll get it sorted out.

Thanks, Mike -
Last edited by miken on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

DLB wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm But the mothership later introduced some kind of infeed edge on the table that I'm unfamiliar with, but I think it has some play that would impact fence alignment.
My table has a separate bolt-on rail, it is not the type that is cast.
DLB wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm Some known 'gotchas' on that fence: Make sure any setscrews are backed out or removed.
I dont have those set screws, they are missing.
DLB wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm . . . . it is important that the infeed clamp action precedes the outfeed clamp action. The infeed clamp should true the fence, then the outfeed should hold it true.
I really don't know if what you describe is happening or not, but I will look into that. I have tried to push in on the fence to try to ensure that infeed edge is fully engaged prior to the outfeed side locking down. I think maybe it is the outfeed side locking that shifts the alignment. Also, I don't have the twist tightening handle, mine has a cam lever to lock it.

Thanks guys, Mike -
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper