MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: MAG-DRO Alignment Tool Option

Post by dusty »

Thanks Mike. I really have no doubts about the tools serviceability. It just appears to be something I want in my tool box. As I said earlier, I really don't need this. I have several devices that all fulfill my needs.

The concern about the bumps location was really not mine. Besides, if it fits snug as you said it really doesn't matter where the bumps are. More important is how snug the tool grasps the dial indicator.

Thanks for the feedback.

My frustration now is the wait. On the Rockler site the report is that the item "has shipped" and provides a tracking number. Then I apply the tracker and the report is that USPS is waiting for the item from the vendor. Is it shipped or is it in limbo somewhere? I guess we are really in the age age fake news and misimformation. Get use to it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am My frustration now is the wait. On the Rockler site the report is that the item "has shipped" and provides a tracking number. Then I apply the tracker and the report is that USPS is waiting for the item from the vendor. Is it shipped or is it in limbo somewhere? I guess we are really in the age age fake news and misimformation. Get use to it.
Dusty, what Rockler's "has shipped" notification really means is that they have purchased the shipping and printed a USPS shipping label. And presumably applied it to your package and placed it in a USPS pickup area. As soon as USPS physically picks up the package, they will scan the label, report it in their possession, and provide a delivery-date estimate. So yes, the "has shipped" status is a bit misleading at this point in time. "Awaiting pickup" would be more accurate.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:04 pm
dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am My frustration now is the wait. On the Rockler site the report is that the item "has shipped" and provides a tracking number. Then I apply the tracker and the report is that USPS is waiting for the item from the vendor. Is it shipped or is it in limbo somewhere? I guess we are really in the age age fake news and misimformation. Get use to it.
Dusty, what Rockler's "has shipped" notification really means is that they have purchased the shipping and printed a USPS shipping label. And presumably applied it to your package and placed it in a USPS pickup area. As soon as USPS physically picks up the package, they will scan the label, report it in their possession, and provide a delivery-date estimate. So yes, the "has shipped" status is a bit misleading at this point in time. "Awaiting pickup by carrier" would be more accurate.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am . . .
The concern about the bumps location was really not mine. Besides, if it fits snug as you said it really doesn't matter where the bumps are. More important is how snug the tool grasps the dial indicator.

. . .
The bumps are rigid. The fingers are a spring. Rigid vs spring as a reference needs to be the rigid, not the flexible spring.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm Dusty, what Rockler's "has shipped" notification really means is that they have purchased the shipping and printed a USPS shipping label. And presumably applied it to your package and placed it in a USPS pickup area. As soon as USPS physically picks up the package, they will scan the label, report it in their possession, and provide a delivery-date estimate. So yes, the "has shipped" status is a bit misleading at this point in time. "Awaiting pickup by carrier" would be more accurate.
Also, USPS (post office) tends to be slower in updating their tracking than the other major carriers. So even when it has been picked up, sometimes it can be days before the computer tracking updates for USPS. Anytime USPS is in the shipping chain you just have to be patient. :(

Sadly sometimes they "cheat" too. More than a few times I have had USPS tracking show that the package was already delivered. Presumably they did this to meet their "quota" or whatever. Then 1 or 2 days later the package arrives at my house. :mad:
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am My frustration now is the wait.
Yes, I originally found it using a google search for something else. I put them both in my shopping cart on Amazon, then realized they weren't available for prime shipping. I noticed the seller was Rockler and went to their site to purchase, but then noticed the "store locator". Got lucky and there was a Rockler not more than 15 minutes from me. I love the ability to order online, but I much prefer to hold something in my hand and walk out of the store with it. Those days are almost gone. They even closed our Sears store. :(

Thanks, Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

miken wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am
dusty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 am Are the bumps on the 'measuring side'?
. . .

For me, the device shows me the limitations of my saw more than anything. Once I move the table, or even unlock the trunnion, the measurement changes. I just did a test and locking the trunnion changes the measurement 0.005", unlocking it again brings the measurement back to 0.001", not to zero. Not enough to matter to me, but I can tweak the table for more precision when/if needed now.

Hope this helps, Mike -
FWIW ANY measurement should be done with all 'locks' locked.

I am curious if measuring with it locked then unlocking and relocking the trunion in that sequence also results in that 0.001 deviation between before and after.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm I am curious if measuring with it locked then unlocking and relocking the trunion in that sequence also results in that 0.001 deviation between before and after.
That's easy enough to check for you. I will report back tonight.
Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

These also show up new on ebay, the seller is Woodcraft Supply. $8.99 plus $4.99 Shipping, that sometimes varies with location but I don't think so in this case. Shipping times are a bit better than Rockler, but it sounds like Rockler may do better than their original estimate. I say may because I've had the experience of over a week between shipping and departure from the seller's dock. In the modern world 'shipped' seems to have more to do with billing than shipping.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 pm
BuckeyeDennis wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm Dusty, what Rockler's "has shipped" notification really means is that they have purchased the shipping and printed a USPS shipping label. And presumably applied it to your package and placed it in a USPS pickup area. As soon as USPS physically picks up the package, they will scan the label, report it in their possession, and provide a delivery-date estimate. So yes, the "has shipped" status is a bit misleading at this point in time. "Awaiting pickup by carrier" would be more accurate.
Also, USPS (post office) tends to be slower in updating their tracking than the other major carriers. So even when it has been picked up, sometimes it can be days before the computer tracking updates for USPS. Anytime USPS is in the shipping chain you just have to be patient. :(

Sadly sometimes they "cheat" too. More than a few times I have had USPS tracking show that the package was already delivered. Presumably they did this to meet their "quota" or whatever. Then 1 or 2 days later the package arrives at my house. :mad:
Two full week days waiting for USPS to pickup??? I understand that USPS pickup is likely once a day but I do believe there is a pick of false information being floated. I don't deal with Rockler all that much so .... well, I'll just wait. Rockler did say two weeks for delivery.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.