Metric Rulers???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sehast
Gold Member

Re: Metric Rulers???

Post by sehast »

I am late to see this so maybe you have already made your choice. I am a big fan of PEC tools and think they are as good as Starrett at a more affordable price particularly if you can find some a cosmetic second. They will some cosmetic blemish on them but are totally functional and accurate. I have gone the combination square route where I have several 12" blades that I can change out. One for millimeters, one for 1/10 and 1/100", and one standard 4R. I even have a 24" blade that I got at a very reasonable price. I think this company is excellent but you may have to wait if you want cosmetic seconds to become available. Their prices are pretty good on the full PEC line as well.

https://taytools.com/collections/brands ... 1854733363
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

sehast wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 pm I am late to see this so maybe you have already made your choice. I am a big fan of PEC tools and think they are as good as Starrett at a more affordable price particularly if you can find some a cosmetic second. They will some cosmetic blemish on them but are totally functional and accurate. I have gone the combination square route where I have several 12" blades that I can change out. One for millimeters, one for 1/10 and 1/100", and one standard 4R. I even have a 24" blade that I got at a very reasonable price. I think this company is excellent but you may have to wait if you want cosmetic seconds to become available. Their prices are pretty good on the full PEC line as well.

https://taytools.com/collections/brands ... 1854733363
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I was primarily drawn to the Chinese ones because of the large format text, but you bring up a good point about the Taylor Toolworks ones. They don't have any meter sticks, but the shorter ones from them are nice. I could have gotten at least the 150mm and 300mm ones of these:

https://taytools.com/products/pec-rigid ... 8047837235

https://taytools.com/products/pec-tools ... 0475102295

I particularly like the white on black version. I still may get a couple of these and I am sure they will excel compared to what I have. Thanks for reminding me about PEC and Taylor Toolworks again.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Just a quick update. My first attempt at straightening the 600mm ruler worked well. I used the end hook T ruler from China to make a mark at 300mm on a board. Using my Fastcap True32 tape measure it matches exactly at 300mm. :) Using the 300mm and 600mm rigid China rulers it also matches exactly at 300mm to my marked line from the end of the board. So, to a 1st order it all looks good. However when I try to line up my Fastcap tape measure to the rigid rulers I do see some small discrepancy in the markings between them as I go down the length of the rulers. :( I'll need to investigate more, but there is some inaccuracy between the markings between these. Could possibly be end hook related from the tape measure, but then the T ruler matched the Fastcap exactly at 300mm?!? I don't have any kind of reference standard in my shop to compare against for metric so I don't know which one of these is correct. Looks like I can try to get some use out of these though in the meantime until I can buy some better quality metric rulers.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

OMG - $63 for a ruler. :eek:

What can it do that my one from Woodcraft can't do.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

That one is $63 because it is Starrett and happens to be made in USA. Not all of Starrett products are made in the USA, but this one is. Is your Woodcraft ruler made in USA?
📶RF Guy

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

RFGuy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:29 pm Just a quick update. My first attempt at straightening the 600mm ruler worked well. I used the end hook T ruler from China to make a mark at 300mm on a board. Using my Fastcap True32 tape measure it matches exactly at 300mm. :) Using the 300mm and 600mm rigid China rulers it also matches exactly at 300mm to my marked line from the end of the board. So, to a 1st order it all looks good. However when I try to line up my Fastcap tape measure to the rigid rulers I do see some small discrepancy in the markings between them as I go down the length of the rulers. :( I'll need to investigate more, but there is some inaccuracy between the markings between these. Could possibly be end hook related from the tape measure, but then the T ruler matched the Fastcap exactly at 300mm?!? I don't have any kind of reference standard in my shop to compare against for metric so I don't know which one of these is correct. Looks like I can try to get some use out of these though in the meantime until I can buy some better quality metric rulers.
---------------
Glad you were able to straighten it out , many metals actually stretch a little when they are bent and re straightened.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:29 pm I'll need to investigate more, but there is some inaccuracy between the markings between these. Could possibly be end hook related from the tape measure, but then the T ruler matched the Fastcap exactly at 300mm?!? I don't have any kind of reference standard in my shop to compare against for metric so I don't know which one of these is correct. Looks like I can try to get some use out of these though in the meantime until I can buy some better quality metric rulers.
I recall you have a nice calibrated digital caliper. When I looked I don't recall any that don't do metric, though quite a few don't display fractional inches. Probably won't get you to 300mm, but I'd use mine as a third vote or a standard without hesitation, and it is not a top tier model.

- David
RonKlein
Gold Member

Post by RonKlein »

Have you looked at the stainless steel cabinet makers rulers from Lee Valley? Although they come in imperial lengths (6" to 36"}, they have metric graduations on one edge, and imperial on the other edge, good readability, and seem to be reasonably priced, and decent quality.
Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I tend to approach woodworking like a manufacturing process. But others enjoy hand-fitting parts, and/or have learned techniques that let them make perfectly-fitting assemblies without ever taking an absolute measurement. I'd like to become proficient at the latter myself.
[/quote]

I don't consider myself terribly proficient at it, but, with woodworking, I rarely take an absolute measurement with a ruler. Various types of story sticks, 123 blocks and, my set of key way stock (poor man's set up blocks) serve the purpose. The only time a tape is used is in carpentry and then, just for gross distance measurement. Devices with numbers confuse me. An old trim carpenter once advised me that if it fits, nail it.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory