Today in the shop: Sanding the Saxaphone

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop: Sanding the Saxaphone

Post by reible »

My brother makes these mini saxsquatch yard art things and mine is in need of some fixing up. The paint on the sax is coming off and the weather has taken a toll on the other parts as well but I'm starting here on the sax.

Just to get you into the frame of mind check out the saxsquatch youtube link below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsk4if ... B8gidE-97g

On to the sanding, and a little test I wanted to run. First this is a new sander that just arrived today so I wanted to play with it at least a little. And I wanted to see how well the little bag works at picking up dust. This is a really bad situation for having the bag picking up dust because of the fact a lot of the dust just falls off the sides but none the less I wanted to see at least that much.
ssax1.jpg
ssax1.jpg (282.24 KiB) Viewed 12092 times
After sanding off most of the old paint it looks like this:
ssax3.jpg
ssax3.jpg (277.14 KiB) Viewed 12092 times
I still need to wipe it down and maybe put some sealer on it before repainting.

Then on to the test. The pile on the left is not collected dust, the one on the right is the collected. It is hard to see in the picture but I think perhaps it collected 70% since there is still more in the bag I didn't work at getting out...... Any way this a better then I expected but I still think I will normally go with the vacuum attached anyway.
ssax2.jpg
ssax2.jpg (260.71 KiB) Viewed 12092 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]