Need a Miter Gauge for a Magna 9 Inch Bench Saw (710?)

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cmulder
Bronze Member

Need a Miter Gauge for a Magna 9 Inch Bench Saw (710?)

Post by cmulder »

So I THOUGHT the Miter slot on the saw on the Magna 9 Inch Bench Saw which I believe is a model 710 from the 1950s was 3/4 inches. However, I purchased one on Amazon and it's just hair too big. Is there an aftermarket one that fits?
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Need a Miter Gauge for a Magna 9 Inch Bench Saw (710?)

Post by DLB »

While I'm not familiar with the 710, from on-line photos it appears to use the same miter gauge as the Mark 5 (or V). These are readily available on eBay or new from Shopsmith. Incra was making an aftermarket version but recently stopped production. I don't know of any current aftermarket versions. I believe the Shopsmith standard is 23/32". There are a few versions available. You'll want one without the T-slot washer, but you can remove that. If you get one with the pistol grip clamp, the single-point adjustment is easier to use than the older thumb-screws.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... rgauge.htm

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

cmulder,

First welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. I believe David is correct. Although I have not owned or seen one in person, everything I have read and pictures I have seen make me believe the Magna 9 inch Table Saw uses the same Miter as the Mark 5. The Mark 5/V Miter is narrower than the standard 3/4" Miters. The Magna 9 inch Table Saw was part of the Magna-Line Power Tools which included the Jointer, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Bandsaw and Sprayer (Compressor) which were the Add-a-Tools (later SPT's) for the Mark 5 at the time. In a sales brochure from 1957 the Miter is described as a Jig-Lok Miter Gauge with the same bar lock screw as the Mark 5. Pictures of it look the same as the Mark 5 Miter too. Do be aware that after the introduction of the Mark 5 there was a Mark 5 type Miter available with a 3/4" wide bar but no lock screw for use on the Shopsmith Model 10's to give them the Safety Grip feature. The Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER (1947-1953) had a standard 3/4" Miter slot. The Shopsmith Mark 2 had a similar Miter as the Mark 5 but with a shorter bar and no lock screw. In the 1950's all three of these Miter Protractors were painted green. If you buy a Mark 5/V Miter with the protractor painted gray, which is more commonly found than it is most likely the correct one and if it has the "T" slot washer simply remove it. A screw holds it in place.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
cmulder
Bronze Member

Post by cmulder »

Thanks for the replies David and Russ--i read that the cast iron is pretty easy to file down so to test it I used a 3 sided file and it was fairly easy to file down a bit of the end so that the miter bar fits in no problem (I tested on the far end away from the saw blade). Then another thread someone suggested a board and emery cloth. So I ordered a one inch wide strip of it (much longer obviously). So what I plan to do is glue that to one side of a piece of wood narrower than 3/4 inch and probably about 6 to 10 inches or so long and just keep sanding/grinding on one side only until the bar fits. Its was surprising how easy it was to grind down and so of course I don't want to do the whole thing with the file because that might take off too much in spots--kind of like using a machete where a knife would be the better tool. My guess is since the thing is about 65 years old its easier to grind it down. If worse comes to worse I know the file will work fine just have to be a bit more careful and slow with that. But then I can use the miter I bought on other things like a router table I have so I think its the best solution.
cmulder
Bronze Member

Post by cmulder »

Funny though someone might say why not invest in a new saw. But the thing is in addition to this being a great vintage tool weighing like a 1000 pounds (LOL) it was given to me by my neighbor who just died of a heart attack. He had every tool in the world and he saw that I had an old crappy table saw (the portable kind) and he offered me this one--all I needed to do was find the right belts for it, which I did. But point is its got great sentimental value to me now given its a connection to him so I'm not getting rid of it until the motor dies. Even then if I can find a cheap replacement motor I might still keep it.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Doing some research and I found articles that said the 701 was a 10 inch saw ? not sure on the miter gage slot but it could be the same as a old craftsman ? JMO, If there is a machine shop or trade school around you they could probably make a bar that would fit a different gage pretty cheap ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

cmulder,

Since you are trying to "down size" the bar of the Miter you already bought I was wondering about the thickness of the bar. The Mark 5 Miter's bar is not only narrower but also thicker than standard 3/4" bars. Do you see that as a possible problem?

Hobbyman2,

I don't know about a Model 701 Magna Table Saw and have never seen it listed in any Magna literature. There was a 10" Magna Table Saw and is at the bottom of the list of Magna Line Tools below.

Model 710 Magna 9” Tilt Arbor Bench Saw 71 000 (Floor Model - 71 008) (sold as a combination 71 009 with Magna 4” Jointer 62 000 - SPT Mount)

Model 730 Magna 12-1/2” Drill Press 73 000

Model 735 Magna 12-1/2” Jig Saw 73 500

Model 740 Magna 30” Wood Lathe 74 000 (Floor Model - 74 008)

Model 745 Magna 4” Belt Sander 74 500

Model 780 Magna 10” Contractors Saw 78 000 (Floor Model)

Note this list is the Magna Line Tools only and does not include the Add-a-Tool line aka SPT's that were designed for the Mark 5 and stand alone use on a bench with a separate motor. The Magna 710 Table Saw was part of the Magna Line Tools and can be combined with SPT’s on double tool benches as in the combination above. Benches could be set up to power both Magna Line Tools listed above in combination with Magna Add-a-tools (SPT's). The Magna Line Tools were introduced prior to Magna Power Tool Corporation being acquired by Yuba. The Magna Table Saw had it's own ¾ HP 3450 RPM motor. It uses the same miter, 9” saw blades and arbors 22 032, 22 031 & 22 030 as Mark 5 did. The arbor part numbers changed in 1964 and became 505511, 505506 and 505505.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:49 pm Since you are trying to "down size" the bar of the Miter you already bought I was wondering about the thickness of the bar. The Mark 5 Miter's bar is not only narrower but also thicker than standard 3/4" bars. Do you see that as a possible problem?
I interpreted it that he was upsizing the slot to be 3/4" wide rather than downsizing the bar. He mentioned that the material he was removing was 65 years old. But also mentioned it was cast iron, which I would expect to be pretty tough. I'm not sure I'm understanding. I definitely would not choose to widen the miter slot is my similar age cast iron SS bandsaw table. Aluminum is another matter.

- David
cmulder
Bronze Member

Post by cmulder »

It's definitely a Magna model 710 (I checked the model#) and yes i am widening the miter slot and it's actually fairly easy. Using a good coarse file I was able to take off enough of the one side of the slot so that the miter bar slides smoothly. I need to do the other side. It's probably about one hour of filing but well worth the effort because making the miter slot "standard" means I can for example use the runners provided in a kit I saw on Amazon for building a sled. Honestly, everyone with these barely smaller than 3/4 inch slots should just spend a couple of hours filing the outside side to 3/4 standard. You get a "standard" miter slot and some good exercise! :)
cmulder
Bronze Member

Post by cmulder »

Forgot to mention I am also using some Emery paper 1-inch strip screwed into about a 10-inch piece of wood on the ends that just fits the slot. I used that for "fine" sanding to remove burs and sharp areas. You could just use fine sandpaper and hand sand bt affixing o a piece of wood makes it easier.