Need a Miter Gauge for a Magna 9 Inch Bench Saw (710?)

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Need a Miter Gauge for a Magna 9 Inch Bench Saw (710?)

Post by DLB »

cmulder wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:33 am ...Honestly, everyone with these barely smaller than 3/4 inch slots should just spend a couple of hours filing the outside side to 3/4 standard. You get a "standard" miter slot and some good exercise! :)
Yes, a "standard" miter slot, some exercise, and a bunch of existing accessories that would no longer fit correctly. Most of us would lose a lot more than we would gain by adapting to this "standard." The more modern standard for table saws is a T-slot, and yes it too is different than the SS T-slot. But it is not as readily recreated with a file and some emery cloth. In your unique situation this approach might make sense to some people, but I don't think there are many in that situation.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

For your table saw I guess widening the miter slot is okay since the miter is only used to guide the material through the cut. I would not do it to a Mark Series tool or the SPT's, Bandsaw and Belt Sander, that use the miter since one of the functions of the miter is to lock it in place to use as a fence or guide. I also like having the Safety Grip on my miters for the table saw function. I even have a couple of the special miters with the Model 10 bar so I can have the Safety Grip available on my Model 10E and 10ER.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
cmulder
Bronze Member

Post by cmulder »

DLB wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:26 am Yes, a "standard" miter slot, some exercise, and a bunch of existing accessories that would no longer fit correctly. Most of us would lose a lot more than we would gain by adapting to this "standard." The more modern standard for table saws is a T-slot, and yes it too is different than the SS T-slot. But it is not as readily recreated with a file and some emery cloth. In your unique situation this approach might make sense to some people, but I don't think there are many in that situation.

- David
Well sure if you already have a bunch of accessories to fit your stuff then it doesn't make as much sense although it constrains you to continue to purchase very specific parts usually at a significantly higher cost. However, I have for example a Router Table that takes the 3/4 standard so I can use the new miter for that as well. I also just purchased a "kit" to build a sled which also has standard 3/4 inch miter bars. But "forcing" special fit miter bars into these "just a hair too small" miter slots you are significantly limiting your choices when you purchase accessories. If you are comfortable doing that. that's fine but it seems to me that if you start out with one of these saw as I just acquired it recently you are MUCH BETTER OFF adapting the miter slots to standard than purchasing miter bars to fit that slot. My opinion of course and certainly you are free to do it your way.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

cmulder,

I agree with you on changing the miter slot size to match the industry standard of 3/4” wide. The challenge is that the Shopsmith miter slots are also shallower than standard so it isn’t just the width you have to worry about. I have commented many times in the past wishing that Shopsmith matched the standard making it easier to use aftermarket accessories. Other forum members make good points though about not changing it, e.g. by changing the table miter slot you may also need to change the miter slots on any SPT’s that you have such as the bandsaw, belt sander, etc., etc. I guess some forum members ONLY use Shopsmith equipment and have no desire to add an aftermarket accessory so they stick with the Shopsmith miter gauge. However I wish it were easier to use aftermarket miter gauges and especially aftermarket miter sleds. Let us know how it works out for you with changing it. I have throught about finding a machine shop to try to widen and deepen my 520 table miter slot but unfortunately the aluminum isn’t very thick to begin with so it might be a mistake to even try it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor