Woodpeckers Exact-90 Miter Gauge

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Woodpeckers Exact-90 Miter Gauge

Post by RFGuy »

Woodpeckers has finally taken on the miter gauge segment. This one is a bit unique in that it only does 90 degree cuts. Should it ever need adjusting, I like the eccentric adjustment design. I also like the 5 nylon leaf springs on the miter bar to attempt to compensate for miter slots that are too wide or too narrow. Still, I wonder if it will even fit in the smaller width Shopsmith miter slots. Of course, the extra long miter bar would probably make this miter gauge a non-starter on the smaller Shopsmith tables because it would be too unwieldy (IMHO). The miter bar is likely too thick for a Shopsmith miter slot as well. Still, a very nice miter gauge if you have a non Shopsmith table saw in your shop. I really like the Woodpeckers fence stops and graduated fence on this one.

https://www.woodpeck.com/exact-90-miter-gauge.html
Woodpeckers_Exact90.jpg
Woodpeckers_Exact90.jpg (215.09 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Woodpeckers_Exact90_2.jpg
Woodpeckers_Exact90_2.jpg (244.01 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers Exact-90 Miter Gauge

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:37 am Woodpeckers has finally taken on the miter gauge segment. This one is a bit unique in that it only does 90 degree cuts. Should it ever need adjusting, I like the eccentric adjustment design. I also like the 5 nylon leaf springs on the miter bar to attempt to compensate for miter slots that are too wide or too narrow. Still, I wonder if it will even fit in the smaller width Shopsmith miter slots. Of course, the extra long miter bar would probably make this miter gauge a non-starter on the smaller Shopsmith tables because it would be too unwieldy (IMHO). The miter bar is likely too thick for a Shopsmith miter slot as well. Still, a very nice miter gauge if you have a non Shopsmith table saw in your shop. I really like the Woodpeckers fence stops and graduated fence on this one.

https://www.woodpeck.com/exact-90-miter-gauge.html

Woodpeckers_Exact90.jpg

Woodpeckers_Exact90_2.jpg

No doubt, this miter gauge, in keeping with Woodpeckers reputation, would be a nice addition to many table saws. However, I see no advantage that it provides over any other "accurate", adjustable miter gauge. For typical Woodpecker prices, I would expect something really, really unique.

Frankly, it looks to me as though Woodpecker is trying to copy some Incra tricks with minor changes (to avoid legal conflicts).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JEFFinCLE
Silver Member

Post by JEFFinCLE »

This came up in the YouTube comments, and I didn't have an answer...

What are the width and depth dimensions of the Shopsmith miter gauge slot? (In thousandths, if anyone can).
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JEFFinCLE wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:48 pm This came up in the YouTube comments, and I didn't have an answer...

What are the width and depth dimensions of the Shopsmith miter gauge slot? (In thousandths, if anyone can).
Jeff,

I believe the consensus is that Shopsmith miter slots are 23/32" wide and 21/64" deep. Keep in mind there are multiple product versions over 70+ years so there is some variability in these miter slots from one customer to the next. I don't believe there is a published spec for it, so just going off of what I have read in the past on this forum. If I am wrong on these measurements then hopefully someone will correct me. Competitors in the marketplace are nominally 3/4" wide by 3/8" deep for comparison.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This sketch depicts what I believe to be typical of the Shopsmith Main Table miter tracks. It is not a specification. It is a recording of my measurements and nothing more.
Attachments
Miter Track, The Anatomy of a (decimal).jpg
Miter Track, The Anatomy of a (decimal).jpg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Miter Track, The Anatomy of a.jpg
Miter Track, The Anatomy of a.jpg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JEFFinCLE
Silver Member

Post by JEFFinCLE »

I'll share this with the product engineer tomorrow and report back. Other than possibly being just a little too thick, I think it is going to work.