ShopSmith Flip Stops

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

ShopSmith Flip Stops

Post by DLB »

I have two of the ShopSmith T-Track mounted flip stops. They are not the same. I've previously ASSUME'd that I had a 510 and a 520 version but am now thinking that is not right. I have one that fits, to my thinking, correctly on the 520 fence. On the other, the "L" part that flips is longer, and though I don't currently have access to one I'm pretty sure the 510 fence is slightly shorter. So, before I cut this one off to fit my 520 better, what is the intended purpose? I don't want to cut it only to do the forehead slap later when I find that I need it. It is about 3/8" too long to lay flat against the 520 fence.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: ShopSmith Flip Stops

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:08 pm I have two of the ShopSmith T-Track mounted flip stops. They are not the same. I've previously ASSUME'd that I had a 510 and a 520 version but am now thinking that is not right. I have one that fits, to my thinking, correctly on the 520 fence. On the other, the "L" part that flips is longer, and though I don't currently have access to one I'm pretty sure the 510 fence is slightly shorter. So, before I cut this one off to fit my 520 better, what is the intended purpose? I don't want to cut it only to do the forehead slap later when I find that I need it. It is about 3/8" too long to lay flat against the 520 fence.

- David
They originally came with an extension rail that sat on top of the fence and then the stop sat on top of the rail. Your longer one is actually the 520 version and the short one is the 500/band saw fence version. The extension rail adds about 3/8" height to the fences.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... cestop.htm
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:22 pm They originally came with an extension rail that sat on top of the fence and then the stop sat on top of the rail. Your longer one is actually the 520 version and the short one is the 500/band saw fence version. The extension rail adds about 3/8" height to the fences.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... cestop.htm
Thank you! That is what is so great about assuming (ASSUME-ing). So the one I thought was for the 520, due to its perfect fit, is actually not for the 520 and that fit is just a happy coincidence. Because neither is made to actually mount to the top of the rip fence.(?) Though I found them both by searching for "rip fence flip stop." Which is what they are called on the pages I found, for example: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/ite ... m=52170802 Which sort of implies that it fits on the 520 rip fence. But it doesn't, the other (510, BS, 500 new fence) is a better fit. This forum is great, it would be nice if more info like this was in the 'catalog.' I'm pretty sure if I was buying a new one I would have been disappointed...

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think SS needs more engineering talent to replace the marketing types that simply do not understand these things.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:22 pm I think SS needs more engineering talent to replace the marketing types that simply do not understand these things.
Maybe, but the flip stops were part of a fence extension package for drill press mode. Individual part number searches don't tell you what you also might need to use the part as intended.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Good Point!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:22 pm I think SS needs more engineering talent to replace the marketing types that simply do not understand these things.
This is a major problem in manufacturing today. In the past most products by were designed by someone that realized a real need. Today they are designed by dreamers that have never experienced the need.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:31 pm Maybe, but the flip stops were part of a fence extension package for drill press mode. Individual part number searches don't tell you what you also might need to use the part as intended.
I do have the extension rail that goes with this. It was bowed about 1/4" upward over its length by the PO and I had put it aside for potential use in jigs. I didn't connect the dots that it was part of a package for the flip stops. Mine has one special T-Bolt with roll pins to keep it aligned to the rail, and two round parts screwed into the bottom that are the diameter of the T-slot, but they don't have a "T" feature that would hold them down. One of the descriptions call these washers, but I wouldn't use that term to describe them. And the bow is enough that the furthest one isn't really in the slot. At the risk of making it worse, I'm going to try to straighten it. And maybe put a miter bar or similar on the bottom instead of the 'washers' for multiple improvements.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I want to bump this thread because, thanks to John's help, I learned from it. But mostly because the flip stops are currently on sale. And even though I now think I understand completely, I would be hard pressed to order the correct ones from the descriptions in the ad!

The piece that flips to either be a stop or out of the way comes in two lengths. Both are made to sit in a rail on top of the fence. Due to different fence heights, one version fits 505/510/Bandsaw (the optional SS bandsaw fence) and, I theorize, the version of 500 fence with a T-slot. The other fits 520/Mark 7. By virtue of a happy coincidence, the 510 version will also fit the 520/M7 fence without the added rail.

The ad lists one version of flip stop and rail that fits everything. I don't see how that is possible. Then lists two different flip stops, one for M7 and one for everything else. Both are wrong or at least inconsistent with the rest of this thread. Which I'm pretty confident is correct as I have both versions. Neither of which I can provide a PN for with any degree of confidence.

- David