Maximum Air Flow

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Maximum Air Flow

Post by dusty »

I have a different set of numbers than those I reported above. After revisiting that task, I believe the errors were the result of poor documentation. That is - the numbers would have been correct if they had been recorded in the right place. Bottom line - the original ata is totally untrustworthy.

Furthermore, since all of the data was collected right at the manifold it is sort of meaningless. The dust collector does all that it does via a long hose (in my case a flexible hose).

I set up today to do a new set of numbers (which I have done). All of the measurements were collected this time at the business end of my flexible dust collector hose. Then I moved the hose, changing the number of twists and turns. That resulted in an entirely different set of numbers. The hose does have significant effect on air flow. Mush more so than I previously realized.

I have concluded that at best I will be able to determine whether the DC-6000 does what it does any better than the DC-3300. How much better - who knows.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Mine is on the way. It shipped earlier than forecast!! At least I have a tracking number even though FEDEX doesn't.

I'm ready and anxious but I'll not disassemble the old one until I have the package from Shopsmith sitting in the shop.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

True and a great point , but it is not much different than a return air on a old conversion furnace where the pulley could be adjusted for more or less speed , the working load on a motor depends on exactly as you described . the calculation should be based on the desired CFM .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)