de sta co look-a-likes?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

de sta co look-a-likes?

Post by reible »

I placed an order for a 213u clamp this morning and it was just under $17. There were a lot of the look-a-likes for a lot less money and I was tempted. I didn't want to chance it for this application but I was wondering if anyone has purchased one of these other brands and if you have compared them to the "real" thing?

Working on a small-piece miter saw jig and I trust the old standard so that is what I ordered. Auto insurance and plates due this month so I didn't want to spend the extra money to test out a couple of versions/brands.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: de sta co look-a-likes?

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have picked up a few look-a-likes from Menards that work well. Not sure of the brand but there are usually a few in stock to pick from.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I've been quite satisfied with the Harbor Freight vertical or horizontal toggle clamps. At $5.00 a pop, they're a good buy compared to the $17.00 Destacos.
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

Ah the Hrbor Freight ones aren't consistent, The hole patterns vary from batch to batch.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I got some years ago from ebay and they were junk , good job holding out for the good ones!!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Clamp will not be here until Thursday. I have my design done except to get the feel for things should be placed. I can cut out the parts and be ready for when the clamp arrives.

The design is something I saw from Woodsmith but adapted to my needs. I think I might want the clamp mounting block to have two locations, one shown and another closer in for even smaller things. Other changes might be needed once I have the clamp in hand and I see how it interacts with the saw etc.
small piece miter saw jig.jpg
small piece miter saw jig.jpg (169.42 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
This one is the left side of the saw, a similar one minus the block and clamp will be used on the right side.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

cham-ed wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:29 pm Ah the Hrbor Freight ones aren't consistent, The hole patterns vary from batch to batch.
Why would this be a problem?
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I had to look up De Sta co clamps to understand what you guys were referring to. Did you ever try this site? Prices seem a bit better. I have bought some from this site and I am very pleased. They hold very well.
https://www.thetoggleclampstore.com/
Bill V
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I got some little ones from Amazon, 4 for $11.99. They work fine.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

RLKeeney I tend to use threaded inserts in fixtures. and move the clamps from fixture to fixture. If the hole patterns aren't consistent It means you can't interchange them