de sta co look-a-likes?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Re: de sta co look-a-likes?

Post by rlkeeney »

cham-ed wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:58 pm RLKeeney I tend to use threaded inserts in fixtures. and move the clamps from fixture to fixture. If the hole patterns aren't consistent It means you can't interchange them
Got it, that makes a lot of sense. I never would have thought of that. The few jigs I make are more of a throw-a-way. Use them to get the job done the toss them. Removing the clamps of course.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

wa2crk wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:09 am I had to look up De Sta co clamps to understand what you guys were referring to. Did you ever try this site? Prices seem a bit better. I have bought some from this site and I am very pleased. They hold very well.
https://www.thetoggleclampstore.com/
Bill V
------------

I like the price .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

As I mentioned this is a back burner type project where I use it to fill in small amounts of "free" time or take advantage of set-up of equipment.

I was able to glue up the two sides, well glue and brads. Not to exciting but progress.
pgu.jpg
pgu.jpg (330.57 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
More progress, the holes to mount to the fence and holes for the three locations of the clamp base. Threaded inserts installed. Base was drilled and the clamp mounted. The relief has not been cut on the back for the sliding fence to work but things are coming along. Here you can see the three locations for the clamp block.
3p.jpg
3p.jpg (156.57 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
This is a sample of what it might look like in use. The actual testing will be done after I can actually mount the jig on the saw, that being after the relief cut has been made.
1p.jpg
1p.jpg (125.52 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
This an experiment to see how I like it and what changes I might want to make if I go on to another version. Sure beats getting your fingers that close to the blade.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Only a day away.

Got the relief cuts done on the fence and some others fences that have been in use without it but now much better with it.
p4.jpg
p4.jpg (122.76 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
This is right off the router and I needed to do a little clean up where the two cuts over lapped. I used a small plane and it came together in minutes.

Then I went on to cut this same relief on these thin fences I have.
p5.jpg
p5.jpg (203.07 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
The right side fence also got the treatment and while it looks like its ready to test...... the mounting screw I have are to short. Hardware store run tomorrow will fix that.
p6.jpg
p6.jpg (219.14 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
And then another fence that is basically an extension so I can use this my 10 Million Dollar Stick. I lost the use of it when I started using the kapex. That too needs the longer screws so testing will be delayed until another day.
p7.jpg
p7.jpg (194.83 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
Good progress since this was only a fraction of today's efforts.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This version is done but the project is not. After getting the hardware and trim cutting the ends I was finally able to do some testing. The clamp works but it is to much 1970's era and I think I will be altering that portion of the system. In fact I know I will as I have parts cut and assembled waiting for the epoxy to cure....
done at last.jpeg
done at last.jpeg (221.31 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
While I was at it I made a ruff stop to see how that might work out. Ruff in that it has no fine adjustments but for some project that is just fine.
ruff stop.jpeg
ruff stop.jpeg (196.34 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Not sure how much use this will get but I have so much left over MDF I figured why not try something new.

Ed
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Looking good. Many ways to skin a cat.

Steve
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I like your clamp-storage system there, Ed. I might have to "borrow" it. What supports the far ends of the clamp bars?

BTW, I noticed that your Kapex has those side extension tables with the T-slots, and that Sehasts' doesn't. I finally figured out that those are the optional Festool Crown Stops.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.43 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The de sta co clamp works good where you would be doing a lot of the same height materials, it takes way to much effort to set up for one offs or a mix of thicknesses unless you can use packers to fill in the difference in thickness. I will keep the part with the clamp mounted for those times when it will work the best.

The addition I started on yesterday uses some cut off t-track I have. I cut the trench with the kapex and what a nice tight fit! Still it needed to be secured in place so I used some new epoxy I wanted to try out. So far so good with that. I also made the base piece both longer and wider, I can change this at a later time if need be??

So here are a few pictures to go along with the changes. In this first one I have a small Rockler clamp holding a small piece that is about 1-3/8" long. I can cut that about in half, like 11/16". That is with in my hope to do parts like this safely.
spc1.jpg
spc1.jpg (136.26 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Even with the larger Rockler clamp it will work.
spc2.jpg
spc2.jpg (136.41 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
As an example one could now trim a two piece pen blank with ease. These were trimmed to size but it could be a lot less work if you first reduced the length.
spc3.jpg
spc3.jpg (150.93 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
This last picture shows that it will clamp down to about an 1/8" or what ever an old paint stick thickness is. Yes you can go smaller but this is in native mode.
spc4.jpg
spc4.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Nice work Ed. As always.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:56 pm Nice work Ed. As always.
AMEN!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange