Tour of Jim McCann's shop

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Tour of Jim McCann's shop

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:03 pm My Dad worked for Gillette for almost 50 years, including several years as its chief engineer. During his career he was responsible for developing Gillette's Techmatic Razor and Trac II Razor. He wouldn't have been caught dead using anything other than a Gillette razor and if any of his bosses had ever caught him using a Bic or a Schick or any other brand razor other than a Gillette razor in his home, I'm sure he would have been fired on the spot.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating for Shopsmith to fire Jim McCann. But it's a huge disappointment to me that he doesn't seem to have any of the flagship tools he is most responsible for developing -- the Mark V 510, 520 or Mark 7 PowerPro headstock -- in his own small shop despite the fact that the small shop woodworker is the target market for the Mark V/7 machines.

It's terrible, terrible optics for Shopsmith.
Alan,

Yeah, I certainly see your point. Like I said on my earlier post, I don't know what I was expecting, but I was kind of surprised that he didn't have at least one Mark V/7. In fairness to Jim though, he isn't really a brand ambassador or anything for Shopsmith. I mean, if he was a Shopsmith demonstrator, etc. or broadcast his shop on social media that would be different. However, based on the comments on the video, etc., I believe Jim is a private person and was reluctant to go on camera to begin with for this. Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, I still applaud him for going on camera and sharing with us. Perhaps the Shopsmith employee discount isn't very good which is why his shop tools are more diverse choices?

P.S. I had similar thoughts when I first saw Nick's shop on YouTube...after seeing him on so many Sawdust Sessions I was kind of aghast at first to see his personal shop had only a few Shopsmith tools in it. Guess I was expecting to see the candyland of Shopsmith shops... ;)
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

algale wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:03 pm It's terrible, terrible optics for Shopsmith.
That is unfortunate. He has Shopsmith work lights on his drill press and disk sander, and he has a Shopsmith belt sander on a Powerstation. That's not watcha call a ringing endorsement.

I can understand that he might have started down this path a long time ago. He has a large conventional table saw that takes a lot of space and that's not surprising. He could have used a Shopsmith as a lathe and combined that with the belt sander and disk sander but I'm not going to argue with one of the most talented and prolific woodworkers that Nick has ever known on how to set up a small shop. We each can do it our own way.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:04 pm That is unfortunate. He has Shopsmith work lights on his drill press and disk sander, and he has a Shopsmith belt sander on a Powerstation. That's not watcha call a ringing endorsement.

I can understand that he might have started down this path a long time ago. He has a large conventional table saw that takes a lot of space and that's not surprising. He could have used a Shopsmith as a lathe and combined that with the belt sander and disk sander but I'm not going to argue with one of the most talented and prolific woodworkers that Nick has ever known on how to set up a small shop. We each can do it our own way.
Don't forget he also has the Shopsmith Pro Planer and talked about using it quite a bit. I think another thing we need to keep in mind is that some of his tools could be hand me downs from family so there could be a sentimental reason that he has them. Particularly could be true for the Delta bandsaw and that old drill press he has. This is part of the reason why I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

P.S. Forgot to mention earlier that I think that vintage Emmert vise was the highlight of Jim's shop (IHMO)...
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Alot of guessing reasons why here.

Why not ask him?

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

bainin wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:22 pm Alot of guessing reasons why here.

Why not ask him?

b
LOL. Because it would cost $19.99/15min to ask him on Engineering Support @ Shopsmith!!!
:D
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:18 pm I think another thing we need to keep in mind is that some of his tools could be hand me downs from family so there could be a sentimental reason that he has them. Particularly could be true for the Delta bandsaw and that old drill press he has.
He mentioned that the drill press was his father's.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with his choices, it is simply unfortunate for Shopsmith marketing that one of their signature machines was not in the shop.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

[/quote]
LOL. Because it would cost $19.99/15min to ask him on Engineering Support @ Shopsmith!!!
:D
[/quote]

:D :D :D :D :D
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

"LOL. Because it would cost $19.99/15min to ask him on Engineering Support @ Shopsmith!!!"

Very funny and very sad all at once..

b
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And fodder fer the naysayers.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I thought I heard that Jim retired. Is that not the case?