Finally a solution I liked

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Finally a solution I liked

Post by db5 »

For more than 35 years I have been annoyed with removing that power cord to make any changes to the SS. But I did and the only injury I have ever had was a slight abrasion from the sanding disc because of my inattention. It anything involved changing anything on the head-stock I unplugged the cord. I thought of solutions, none of which I liked, but today settled on one that I think satisfies me and may you. Simple, easy and always there when I need it.
Attachments
P1140435.JPG
P1140435.JPG (35.72 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
P1140436.JPG
P1140436.JPG (31.09 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
P1140438.JPG
P1140438.JPG (35.16 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Finally a solution I liked

Post by garys »

Can you explain more what you have done and how it makes it easier?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Is it just something to stick the plug in after you remove it from the outlet?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It is less restrictive than sticking it in yer pocket.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Notice the last picture. It's just an empty receptacle with no cord attached. Screwed on the underside of a table mounted on the left. That way the cord is out of the way and handy when I get ready to plug it back in.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

db5 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:27 am Notice the last picture. It's just an empty receptacle with no cord attached. Screwed on the underside of a table mounted on the left. That way the cord is out of the way and handy when I get ready to plug it back in.
Aaah - that's what it is.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I just drop my plug on the floor near the wall receptacle when not in use. I find that out of the way too behind the Shopsmith and right near the wall where it needs to be plugged back in.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I see it is a place to put the plug and protect it while making changes on the Shopsmith. I have yet to step on the plug while using garys method not to say it couldn't happen. Sometimes when the way tubes are exposed on the back (belt cover) side I drape the cord over them while making changes on the quill side and vice versa when setting up a SPT. I like to keep the power cord out of the "action" area.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
shackman66
Silver Member

Post by shackman66 »

I use a dead mans switch on all of my connected equipment. If my foot isn't on it there is no power. Two circuit breakers on my pony control all of my equipment and they get turned off when I leave.
MK5 344440 - 1956, MK5 100952 - 1981, Magna Model 610, Magna Model 620, Magna Model 630
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Further explanation will clarify why I did this. My SS is parked between two cars in my garage. I have storage drawers below and other stuff in a tool chest and three cabinets against a wall. Electrical outlets are not accessible where the SS is. The closest outlet is in the ceiling where the garage door openers is plugged in. A 12 gauge extension cord hangs from overhead. When unplugged the cord was either in the way on the table or on the floor. This makes it out of the way and easily accessible to plug back in. It does not work in drill press mode.