Why Does the Motor Housing Slop Down Toward 3-Way

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Why Does the Motor Housing Slop Down Toward 3-Way

Post by dusty »

The Motor Housing tilts down about 2 degrees once the final installation is complete. This tilt results in the gap across the top of the Motor Housing where it meets the Main Housing.

Why does it tilt downward in that direction?

Because the axis of the Fan Motor and that of 3-way coupler are not on the same plane. The 3-way coupler (4" coupler) is approximately 1/2" lower.

To connect the Fan Housing to the 3-way via the 4" coupler, the fan housing must be tilted thus causing the gap. The gap needs to be alleviated to prevent dust from getting where it does not belong (in the motor housing). Self adhesive rubber foam gasket material will do the trick.
DC-6000 Axis (1).jpg
DC-6000 Axis (1).jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
DC-6000 Axis (2).jpg
DC-6000 Axis (2).jpg (89.1 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
DC-6000 Axis (3).jpg
DC-6000 Axis (3).jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
The Gap
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Why Does the Motor Housing Slop Down Toward 3-Way

Post by DLB »

Nice work on the drawings Dusty. I mentioned the larger gap at the top of the DC-6000 Motor Housing and Main Housing to SS Engineering (Jim). Also, that it was caused by a nose down attitude compared to the DC-3300 with no corresponding change to the Motor Housing mechanical design. He was not aware of it. He said he would look at it as part of my 'repair.' The gap could be closed by additional machining of the motor housing, but I think that would necessitate a longer 4" coupler on the other end, and that appears to be an off-the-shelf item. (Mine had a bar code.)

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

DLB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:42 am Nice work on the drawings Dusty. I mentioned the larger gap at the top of the DC-6000 Motor Housing and Main Housing to SS Engineering (Jim). Also, that it was caused by a nose down attitude compared to the DC-3300 with no corresponding change to the Motor Housing mechanical design. He was not aware of it. He said he would look at it as part of my 'repair.' The gap could be closed by additional machining of the motor housing, but I think that would necessitate a longer 4" coupler on the other end, and that appears to be an off-the-shelf item. (Mine had a bar code.)

- David

Well, that is kind of weird. Can someone other than me (Dusty?) edit my posts.(???) :confused: I didn't add/create the part below my name in that post. Nor the boldface part above my name. Looks like Dusty quoted my post but it did not create a second post.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Very strange if the forum let someone edit and post as you. I prefer not to comment inline with anyone's post. Even with color changes and proper formatting, it can often become confusing for readers of the forum sometimes...particularly when inline comments become nested several layers deep.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I wrote the text in question but I was quoting you. I deleted my post then reposted and this is what we have now.
DLB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:42 am Nice work on the drawings Dusty. I mentioned the larger gap at the top of the DC-6000 Motor Housing and Main Housing to SS Engineering (Jim). Also, that it was caused by a nose down attitude compared to the DC-3300 with no corresponding change to the Motor Housing mechanical design. He was not aware of it. He said he would look at it as part of my 'repair.' The gap could be closed by additional machining of the motor housing, but I think that would necessitate a longer 4" coupler on the other end, and that appears to be an off-the-shelf item. (Mine had a bar code.)

- David
If the upper lip on the motor housing was extended about 1/8" to 1/4" and equipped with a gasket that gap could be closed. I am working on a fix, using aluminum flashing and rubber door seal to close that gap. I have the gap closed now (check my posts for some pictures) but I don't like it for the long haul.

I'll post when I think I have a permanent fix.

If Jim is not aware it can only mean that he has not seen the gap without some sort of gasket. The hole is like a sieve for the dust that piles up on top of the motor housing (again, see pictures I posted). BTW, I don't expect that everyone has that collection of dust. I am a heavy user of my table saw and dust collector. Not so much now but there was a time that I used only rough cut lumber.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

when 'quoting' one must be very aware of where within those quote(s) one is adding text etc. Especially when multiple 'layers ' exist.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:47 pm when 'quoting' one must be very aware of where within those quote(s) one is adding text etc. Especially when multiple 'layers ' exist.
I obviously was not careful enough. Lesson learned.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:57 pm I obviously was not careful enough. Lesson learned.
It is still perplexing that the forum let Dusty edit Dave's post and then show it as a post FROM Dave though...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:59 pm
dusty wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:57 pm I obviously was not careful enough. Lesson learned.
It is still perplexing that the forum let Dusty edit Dave's post and then show it as a post FROM Dave though...
Not sure that WAS the case.

I surmise that Dusty simply edited the quoted part inadvertently. He meant to add the new comments AFTER the quoted part.

Not having seen it before Dusty deleted it I am merely guessing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

A quote being edited will look like the following (ignore CODE:SELECT ALL tags):

Code: Select all

[quote=dusty post_id=287764 time=1630781857 user_id=1774]
I obviously was not careful enough.  Lesson learned.
[/quote]
This can be easily used to make it appear anyone has posted anything. For instance:
Abraham Lincoln wrote:Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
That is produced with following code:

Code: Select all

[quote=Abraham Lincoln]Don't believe everything you read on the internet.[/quote]
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER