Why Does the Motor Housing Slop Down Toward 3-Way

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Why Does the Motor Housing Slop Down Toward 3-Way

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:45 pm A quote being edited will look like the following (ignore CODE:SELECT ALL tags):

Code: Select all

[quote=dusty post_id=287764 time=1630781857 user_id=1774]
I obviously was not careful enough.  Lesson learned.
[/quote]
This can be easily used to make it appear anyone has posted anything. For instance:
Abraham Lincoln wrote:Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
That is produced with following code:

Code: Select all

[quote=Abraham Lincoln]Don't believe everything you read on the internet.[/quote]
I think it was more weird than that. Dusty was quoting a post I made but when he was done there was no post by Dusty, instead it modified my post. Then when he went back and 'corrected' it, that again modified my post. Not only that, I quoted that earlier post, with his changes, in a second post and whatever he did modified the quote I had made. The original post is actually still slightly modified, contains a BOLD section from when Dusty tried to quote it.

I know it's gone now, but when Dusty originally posted the result was text added to my post that I didn't write. It appeared (to me) that he was able to inadvertently edit my post. I only thought it was Dusty based on the content.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:18 pm I think it was more weird than that. Dusty was quoting a post I made but when he was done there was no post by Dusty, instead it modified my post. Then when he went back and 'corrected' it, that again modified my post. Not only that, I quoted that earlier post, with his changes, in a second post and whatever he did modified the quote I had made. The original post is actually still slightly modified, contains a BOLD section from when Dusty tried to quote it.

I know it's gone now, but when Dusty originally posted the result was text added to my post that I didn't write. It appeared (to me) that he was able to inadvertently edit my post. I only thought it was Dusty based on the content.

- David
Yeah, I didn't see it happen, but I was just going based on your description and what I could see of the thread at the time this morning. Wondering if someone is a MODERATOR whether it is possible to accidentally alter someone else's post by accident like this.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think a moderator can alter a users post, not sure you can then make a post with someone else's by line. If someone wants to find out if this is possible start another thread and I or another moderator can/will try see what can be alter your post and see if we can then post with your by line. We can then delete the results and or thread.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am definitely the culprit here but I am not able to explain what all was done. I can say that I had no intention of presenting anything in a manner that would make it appear as though someone else (Dave) was the author.

I do prefer to quote others so that there is no question as to what provoked my comments. I feel that it keeps the conversation organized.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gold Member

Post by MODERATOR »

A moderator does indeed have the ability to alter, delete another Users posts.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:42 am Nice work on the drawings Dusty. I mentioned the larger gap at the top of the DC-6000 Motor Housing and Main Housing to SS Engineering (Jim). Also, that it was caused by a nose down attitude compared to the DC-3300 with no corresponding change to the Motor Housing mechanical design. He was not aware of it. He said he would look at it as part of my 'repair.' The gap could be closed by additional machining of the motor housing, but I think that would necessitate a longer 4" coupler on the other end, and that appears to be an off-the-shelf item. (Mine had a bar code.)

- David
Just curious. Do you have your DC-6000 up and running? If so, how do you like it? I am pleased with mine now that I have the gap sealed up. To me it was worth the cost of the upgrade. It became an even better deal when I found a home for the guts of the DC-3300.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:06 pm
DLB wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:42 am Nice work on the drawings Dusty. I mentioned the larger gap at the top of the DC-6000 Motor Housing and Main Housing to SS Engineering (Jim). Also, that it was caused by a nose down attitude compared to the DC-3300 with no corresponding change to the Motor Housing mechanical design. He was not aware of it. He said he would look at it as part of my 'repair.' The gap could be closed by additional machining of the motor housing, but I think that would necessitate a longer 4" coupler on the other end, and that appears to be an off-the-shelf item. (Mine had a bar code.)

- David
Just curious. Do you have your DC-6000 up and running? If so, how do you like it? I am pleased with mine now that I have the gap sealed up. To me it was worth the cost of the upgrade. It became an even better deal when I found a home for the guts of the DC-3300.
I don't have it back yet but I had a message from Jim that it has been shipped so it should be here within the next few days. Per the message, they flattened the mating (with the fan housing) surface of my motor housing and added a silicone seal. (Perhaps sealant, it wasn't specific.) There was nothing in the message about the motor heating, I was a bit disappointed by that as it was the primary reason I agreed to send it. He also did not mention the wider gap and motor slope that is the subject of this thread.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:45 pm
dusty wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:06 pm

- David
I don't have it back yet but I had a message from Jim that it has been shipped so it should be here within the next few days. Per the message, they flattened the mating (with the fan housing) surface of my motor housing and added a silicone seal. (Perhaps sealant, it wasn't specific.) There was nothing in the message about the motor heating, I was a bit disappointed by that as it was the primary reason I agreed to send it. He also did not mention the wider gap and motor slope that is the subject of this thread.

- David
Apparently they did nothing about the slope of the Motor Housing. I conclude that because you say they treated the gap between the Main Housing and Motor Housing with silicon (of some sort). I would agree that that solves the issue (in a fashion) but there are more professional ways to gain the required mechanical fit. Yes. that would require retooling

I'm curious about how they flattened the interface between the fan housing and motor housing. I certainly would not disassemble though just to find out.

Looking forward to a "performance report".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty