New Shopsmith Mark 4

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

New Shopsmith Mark 4

Post by edma194 »

It's sort of a Model 520 shorty for $2778. It's 55" long, comes with no accessories and no extension table or floating tables. It does appear to have double tilt. Want to do anything at all with it and you need to buy more parts. There are packages available for the original 5 configurations, table saw, sand, drill, bore, and turn. I'm a bit underwhelmed but it does drop the introductory price quite a bit, although it would make more sense to include one accessory with it for a decent price so you could use the machine for something once you buy it. Also, considering what is left out already it hardly seems worth the few extra bucks saved by smaller bench and way tubes.

Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith Mark 4

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I think Shopsmith must be reading the forums and got tired of seeing comments saying that there isn't a Mark 4 so they had to go and make one. Customers must have run out of old machines on the used market to make into Shorty's...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I got the email this morning about it. I don't need one, but there are likely people who do so it should fit that need.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

edma194 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:08 am It's sort of a Model 520 shorty for $2778. It's 55" long, comes with no accessories and no extension table or floating tables. It does appear to have double tilt. Want to do anything at all with it and you need to buy more parts. There are packages available for the original 5 configurations, table saw, sand, drill, bore, and turn. I'm a bit underwhelmed but it does drop the introductory price quite a bit, although it would make more sense to include one accessory with it for a decent price so you could use the machine for something once you buy it. Also, considering what is left out already it hardly seems worth the few extra bucks saved by smaller bench and way tubes.

What is 55" long? Standard Way Tubes are 52" long.

This may be the actually foot print measurement which is now 72" and not the Way Tubes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

When I acquired my first Shopsmith way back when I didn't know a lot about it. I wasn't clear what all the functions were but I did know one function was a table saw and that was the most expensive tool I needed at the time. If I was starting out right now and looking at a new machine I'd be disappointed to find out it actually cost over $3000 after seeing the $2778 come on price. I think they need packages that include the machine and the parts for at least one function for under $3000 to satisfy the market.

OTOH I don't really see much of a market, I don't think price is the only issue.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I agree. I believe the current Mark V/7 system is too expensive to purchase new so Shopsmith should offer a cheaper intro level system for 1st time buyers. If they only need a tablesaw to start with then they can buy this now and then purchase the equipment for drillpress, lathe, sanding, etc. later when they need it. This Mark 4 definitely opens the door to get them onto the Shopsmith platform. I think it is good that Shopsmith is offering more choices here.

Now, what exactly is a 520S that Shopsmith advertised today? What does the "S" suffix signify???

https://shopsmith.com/markvsite/520s.htm
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The S stands for Not Short. So this is the Mark 4 in full length plus an extension table, and the upper and lower saw guards. That's right, you can't use it as a table saw without buying something else, but you will have the guards. Maybe they'll do this on the little one too, it's quite easy for someone to attach a blade with a 5/8" arbor and cut off some body parts, so they should include the safety parts with both models.

An extension table package is available separately, you should be able to use it with the Mark 4 also. And for $4199 you can buy the 520S with all 5 function packages, but without the extension table package.

A fence, and probably the miter gauge comes with the table saw package. I hope it includes the entire safety kit also.

The prices may not be impressive to those of us who already have our machines but any lower introductory price could be just what gets some people to join the club. I bought my first machine used because of circumstances. I didn't know what a new one cost at the time but I might have been in the position where I couldn't quite afford it while able to make it work at a somewhat lower price.

No matter how this works out in sales it costs Shopsmith virtually nothing to "stock" these models. The only new parts involved are shorter tubes. They may as well let you choose your tube length by the inch. They've added some new terminology and they'll need some new packing lists. I think this is a good move on the part of Shopsmith to make the machine more modular in its initial configuration. IMHO they should make more attractive combination prices though.
Ed from Rhode Island

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:32 am The S stands for Not Short.
Or is it that "S" in 520S stands for stripped because it is a bare bones? The webpage is a little vague, but it seems to be a stripped down version of a Mark V. I mean it comes with the main table, right? However, you have to buy the saw package to get the rip fence, etc.
📶RF Guy

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

"Yeah, I think Shopsmith must be reading the forums and got tired of seeing comments saying that there isn't a Mark 4 so they had to go and make one. Customers must have run out of old machines on the used market to make into Shorty's..."

Ya know-I always found it odd that our current topics here seem to show up with some regularity in some form in the weekly sales emails.

Coincidence?

b
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

edma194 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:32 am The S stands for Not Short. So this is the Mark 4 in full length plus an extension table, and the upper and lower saw guards. That's right, you can't use it as a table saw without buying something else, but you will have the guards. Maybe they'll do this on the little one too, it's quite easy for someone to attach a blade with a 5/8" arbor and cut off some body parts, so they should include the safety parts with both models.
The main page for the 4 shows it coming with the saw guards as well. https://shopsmith.com/mark4/index.htm
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes: