New Shopsmith Mark 4

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith Mark 4

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:38 pm
Majones1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:41 pmMark LC
Perfect, no confusion over the Roman Numerals on that one! :D

- David
L is 50, C is 100 in Roman Numerals = 150.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

LC in Roman numerals would be incorrect. You read them left to right, so typically the larger numbers are placed on the left and then you add as you continue to read from left to the right. However, when a smaller number is placed first on the left, it is generally understood that subtraction is expected. In this case, "L" is 50, and "C" is 100, so LC likely means 50-100=-50. So, what does a negative number Mark version indicate???
;)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:49 pm LC in Roman numerals would be incorrect. You read them left to right, so typically the larger numbers are placed on the left and then you add as you continue to read from left to the right. However, when a smaller number is placed first on the left, it is generally understood that subtraction is expected. In this case, "L" is 50, and "C" is 100, so LC likely means 50-100=-50. So, what does a negative number Mark version indicate???
;)
Yes I know that. Just didn't want to get too complicated. My bad. I knew someone would call me on it. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:00 pm Yes I know that. Just didn't want to get too complicated. My bad. I knew someone would call me on it. :)
No worries...I think I have seen differing opinions of it before, i.e. I don't think the subtraction assumption is written in stone (pun? intended). Unless we time travel back to when the Roman Empire was in its heyday, I don't know if we will know 100% for sure which way is right. :)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So what is the difference between XIII AND XIIV ?

I surmise never more than 2 subtractors is useful.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:07 pm So what is the difference between XIII AND XIIV ?

I surmise never more than 2 subtractors is useful.
Well I think there is only one subtractor allowed. So XIIV would be 10 + 1 =11 and 5 - 1 = 4 so the total is 15. 15 is written XV, 13 is XIII and 14 is XIV. XIIV is incorrect.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I looked up the rules.

Higher values left to right.

A value repeated adds(except *)

A lesser value after a greater value adds.

A lesser value before a greater value subtracts.(*)

Nothing more than 3 in a row. so VI to VIII and IIX to IX i.e. III means 3 more than what precedes it if greater and II can mean 2 less than what follows if it is greater.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Veering off into unimportant details...
The Romans didn't adhere to strict rules, we use an inconsistent set of modern rules. The letters we use to represent the Roman numerals are just approximations of the shape of the actual numerals used, and those were rather inconsistently applied. The modern rules have a lot to do with the representation of years and some of the difficult cases like 1999 which could be formed as either "MCMXCIX" or the much simpler "MIM". Look at most sundials and many a clock and you'll see 4 depicted at as "IIII" breaking the "no more than 3 in a row" rule.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Wow, I'm all numbered out. :confused:

I have to agree with what JPS said yesterday.
We be seeking a lost paradise by trying to figger out an irrational process of establishing names over a longer than half century time span by multiple corporate entities.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:43 pm Wow, I'm all numbered out. :confused:

I have to agree with what JPS said yesterday.
We be seeking a lost paradise by trying to figger out an irrational process of establishing names over a longer than half century time span by multiple corporate entities.
My comment was partly in jest, but I recall a really long time ago (meaning just before Covid) that Mike Young brought this up in the M7 demo. M5/V was named for five tools it replaces, thus M7 for seven tools. I agree, M4/M4+P is a break in that tradition and there are too many exceptions for it to be a rule. I actually did go back through the documentation of the add-ons to see if something was different.

I think buyers are going to realize that these accessories are not as easily separable as the advertising might suggest. For example I rarely use either drill press mode or a disc sander without a fence, miter gauge, or both. And I rarely use a TS, horizontal DP, or disc without an extension table and tubes to stabilize the main table.

- David