New Shopsmith Mark 4

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith Mark 4

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

It looks like you are reading it right but here is what I see. Interesting marketing since if you buy the Mark V 520S with all the packages at $4199 that is the same as buying the Mark V 520 itself. Buying the 520S with all the packages saves you $165 so you will feel better about the deal you got.

There is an error on the Mark 4 page since the Power Pro package is listed as below
MARK 4 (Shorty) with Amazing PowerPro Headstock
ALL INCLUSIVE SPECIAL PRICE
Base Multi-Purpose Machine, Conventional Headstock,
Workspace Package & All 5 Work Packages
What do they mean saying Power Pro and Conventional Headstock. I think they need a new copy reader to proof these ads before they are listed.

The Mark 4 with the Power Pro setup is $597 cheaper than the Mark 7. The differences there are the shorter Bench and Way Tubes and the Router & Shaper Accessories (Guards, Arbor, Chuck & Table Insert) that come standard with the Mark 7. Those extra accessories that come standard with the Mark 7 are sometimes overlooked when comparing the different models.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Perhaps we are looking at introductory pricing on the Mark 4, similar in concept to the initial pricing on the DC-6000 upgrade kit. We'll know in a couple of days.

If we accept that the Mark 5/V was originally named because it was five tools in one, and the Mark 7 was named because it added two tools to that, I'm curious how they came up with Mark 4. Especially for the PowerPro version. Both appear to be DT which would add capability, not take it away.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think "4" is a "5" with less functions(how many less is thy choice) or a slightly shorter "5". ;>}
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Mark 4 basic unit can become a 5 in 1 tool like the Mark V but it would be confusing to call it 5. They could have called it a Mark 6 but it is shorter than the Mark V. Just as the Mark 2 introduced in the late 1950's was a 5 in 1 tool but a less expensive version of sorts of the Mark 5 it too needed a different name. The short lived Mark 1 could do more than one function as it came and was an entry level tool which was upgradable to a Mark V. Look at the how often we have to try to determine which Mark VII/7 old or new someone is referring to which is important especially when talking about certain accessories. All of these have had additional accessories available for them to increase there functions but it would be confusing to say I have added 3 additional functions to my Mark V so now it is a Mark 8. Yes I do understand that I often refer to my upgraded Mark V 520 as a Mark 7 but it is upgraded to everything that comes with a Mark 7. They all needed a name and someone made that choice just like the different models of the Mark V. I feel Mark 4 is fitting even when fully equipped for the 5 functions since it is shorter thus less than a Mark V.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

They should have called them Mark Vs and Mark 7s for "short".
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

We be seeking a lost paradise by trying to figger out an irrational process of establishing names over a longer than half century time span by multiple corporate entities.

LOST CAUSE!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:36 pm We be seeking a lost paradise by trying to figger out an irrational process of establishing names over a longer than half century time span by multiple corporate entities.

LOST CAUSE!
"Lost Cause" was going to be my next name suggestion.... :D
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Mark LC
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Majones1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:41 pmMark LC
Perfect, no confusion over the Roman Numerals on that one! :D

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mark 60 ????

Who said THAT? :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝