Using My AngleCube

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Using My AngleCube

Post by dusty »

I use my IGaging AngleCube for many uses both in and out of the shop. It is a powerful little tool but one must get use to some idiosyncrasies to avoid frustration.

As a starter - a couple images of my AngleCube.
Zero It
Zero It
20210912_093617.jpg (405.36 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Tilt Right and Notice Arrows
Tilt Right and Notice Arrows
20210912_093638.jpg (340.64 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Tilt Left and Notice Arrows
Tilt Left and Notice Arrows
20210912_093702.jpg (365.88 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Tilted 90 Degrees  Notice No Arrows (neither side is up or down)
Tilted 90 Degrees Notice No Arrows (neither side is up or down)
20210912_093722.jpg (356.73 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Tilt Even Further (Over Rotate if you will) and Note the Arrows.  ALSO: Note Display is Inverted. Gone Past 90!
Tilt Even Further (Over Rotate if you will) and Note the Arrows. ALSO: Note Display is Inverted. Gone Past 90!
20210912_093806.jpg (340.24 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Using My AngleCube

Post by dusty »

A full rotation to the right (clockwise)

Zeroed Here
Zeroed Here
20210912_113920.jpg (343.23 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
90 degrees off starting position
90 degrees off starting position
20210912_113940.jpg (367.9 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
More than 90 off starting position
More than 90 off starting position
20210912_121425.jpg (375.04 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
More than 90 Less than 180 off starting Position
More than 90 Less than 180 off starting Position
20210912_114021.jpg (331.68 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
180 off starting position
180 off starting position
20210912_114031.jpg (378.36 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Back to Starting Position (360 degree rotation).
Back to Starting Position (360 degree rotation).
20210912_114123.jpg (388.7 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
american-eagle-usa-flag (2).jpg
american-eagle-usa-flag (2).jpg (125.49 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have the original anglecube(no backlight, no %, no rechargable battery(uses 9v), no usb port(battery charge and data).

However I believe the screen symbols are the same(xx.xx°,up/down arrows AND the square symbols(0 to 2 on each side).

Some observations:

ONCE I got a level Zero reading with NO arrows.

A zero reading with arrows either direction is possible(very low deviation from "LEVEL").

As the cube is tilted from level the angles display value increases and the arrows indicate the high and low status of the respective bottom corner of the cube.

At 10.00° a square symbol appears at the 'fat' end of the arrows. An additional indication of high/low bottom corner of the cube.

At 70.00° a second square symbol appears.

As the cube is further rotated from level it will eventually indicate 90.00° The arrows and square symbols do not move.

Additional rotation(VERY small amount) will cause the 90.00° display to invert(become 'upside down' and is then to be read viewing the cube 'upside down'). The arrows and squares also 'flip', but are still indicating the same relative to the "bottom" of the cube corresponding to the bottom of the display(which has become the 'top' of the cube).

Additional rotation causes the angle display to decrement down from 90.00°.

At 69.95° the second square symbol disappears.

At 9.95° the single square symbol disappears.

And so on til the cube is rotated 180°(upside down(and the display reads correct in that inverted position).

Further rotation essentially repeats the steps above until the cube is again top up.

Now all this being ?informative? is "interesting?, but this cube had magnets on three sides(left,bottom,right) and thus all this tilted 90° becomes moot.

One can simply attach the cube right side up to a vertical surface and read angular rotation from the reference directly(keep in mind the displacement can be CW OR CCW. The arrows will tell thee which way.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I've observed that the AngleCube has a hundredths of a degree 'digit' on the display. But in all the pics I've seen that digit is '0' or '5.' Is the resolution .05 degrees? (Wixey is 0.1, less good.)

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:31 pm I've observed that the AngleCube has a hundredths of a degree 'digit' on the display. But in all the pics I've seen that digit is '0' or '5.' Is the resolution .05 degrees? (Wixey is 0.1, less good.)

- David
Yes, advertised resolution is .05
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Comparing My AngleCube to My New Wixey

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 pm I have the original anglecube(no backlight, no %, no rechargable battery(uses 9v), no usb port(battery charge and data).

However I believe the screen symbols are the same(xx.xx°,up/down arrows AND the square symbols(0 to 2 on each side).

Some observations:

ONCE I got a level Zero reading with NO arrows.

A zero reading with arrows either direction is possible(very low deviation from "LEVEL").

As the cube is tilted from level the angles display value increases and the arrows indicate the high and low status of the respective bottom corner of the cube.

At 10.00° a square symbol appears at the 'fat' end of the arrows. An additional indication of high/low bottom corner of the cube.

At 70.00° a second square symbol appears.

As the cube is further rotated from level it will eventually indicate 90.00° The arrows and square symbols do not move.

Additional rotation(VERY small amount) will cause the 90.00° display to invert(become 'upside down' and is then to be read viewing the cube 'upside down'). The arrows and squares also 'flip', but are still indicating the same relative to the "bottom" of the cube corresponding to the bottom of the display(which has become the 'top' of the cube).

Additional rotation causes the angle display to decrement down from 90.00°.

At 69.95° the second square symbol disappears.

At 9.95° the single square symbol disappears.

And so on til the cube is rotated 180°(upside down(and the display reads correct in that inverted position).

Further rotation essentially repeats the steps above until the cube is again top up.

Now all this being ?informative? is "interesting?, but this cube had magnets on three sides(left,bottom,right) and thus all this tilted 90° becomes moot.

One can simply attach the cube right side up to a vertical surface and read angular rotation from the reference directly(keep in mind the displacement can be CW OR CCW. The arrows will tell thee which way.
After all the conversation in the other thread I decided that I wanted a Wixey (primarily for comparison). Now that I have one in hand I know that I will retain my preference for the AngleCube.

The Wixey is light weight (not bad), it is back lite (nice), it displays 0-180 (different), it has arrows to indicate direction of rotation, it has no symbols other than the arrows (no real impact), magnetic on the bottom only (major adjustment)

None of the indicators (squares) appear on this Wixey. I will not call this a negative but I have gotten use to the side indicators on my AngleCube.

I have not used it for real work yet but I have played with it enough to have made a meaningful observation, As it rotates from horizontal to vertical it very seldom indicates 90 degrees; 89.x is the predominant display at that point. This is probably just a function of accuracy/resolution. It does play into my preference for the AngleCurb. I might not have noticed this except for my current concentration on what happens when the way tubes move from horizontal to vertical.

The playing that I have done thus far has planted some doubt (in my mind) as to whether my Marks actually "pass thru" 90 degrees when moved to vertical. The many times that I have done this recently indicates a precise 90 degree rotation from horizontal even though visually it looks like the tubes lean. Maybe I need to add a plumb bob.

PS: While in the shop this morning I became aware that the backlite function of the Wixey turns-off after a short period of non-movement. I don't believe my old one did that. It comes back on with the very slightest movement of the Wixey. With the two sidebyside I notice the AngleCube is not as bright and that the AngleCube characters are larger (easier for old guys to read).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes it was interesting to get the 90.0° indication with opposing arrows(90°±0.?0) in the other thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:02 pm Yes it was interesting to get the 90.0° indication with opposing arrows(90°±0.?0) in the other thread.
I can't find what you are referring to in the other thread. Maybe I am looking in the wrong thread.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:10 pm viewtopic.php?p=288331#p288331
Thank you. I just didn't grasp what you were referring to.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty