Woodpeckers Mini In-dexable Squares

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Woodpeckers Mini In-dexable Squares

Post by RFGuy »

Not a tool review, but I just wanted to post about the excellent customer service that I received from Woodpeckers. After several purchases, I finally received a Woodpeckers product that wasn't up to their usual quality. No company is perfect, but I was quite surprised when I received this. I liked the idea of the index feature built into these Woodpeckers squares, but I already had enough squares coming out of my ears already. However, when they repeated the in-dexable line of squares, but in a mini size I decided to buy them and try these out (price was definitely easier to stomach with these mini sqaures). Thought was that the smaller size would work great for fitting in a shop apron. Also, it seems like I can never have enough quality double/combo squares, since I often need more than one for layout to preserve a measurement that is repeated. So, I encountered two problems with my order. I ordered both the double square and the combination square heads with 3 rulers (4", 6" & 8"). The first thing that I noticed was that the 4" ruler would not slide smoothly in either square head; essentially it will snag and get stuck at certain points down the length of the ruler (wax didn't help). I contacted Woodpeckers and they sent a new 4" ruler that behaved more like the 6", 8" rulers that slid more smoothly. Then as I am looking at everything as a kit again I notice that the 6" ruler had no laser etched ruler markings on the back of the ruler. The 4" & 8" rulers were correct but somehow my 6" ruler had no scale on the backside. I reached out to Woodpeckers again and they quickly sent me a 6" replacement. Both times that I contacted Woodpeckers customer service they promptly took care of the problem and sent me a replacement. I wish all companies made it so easy to remedy customer issues.

https://www.woodpeck.com/mini-in-dexable-squares.html

Back:
IMG_6973.jpg
IMG_6973.jpg (295.79 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
Front:
IMG_6972.jpg
IMG_6972.jpg (313.1 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers Mini In-dexable Squares

Post by jsburger »

Glad they were so responsive. They pride themselves on quality items so it is nice to see they stand behind their products. I have the Mini Double Square with the 4" ruler. It is a very very nice piece of equipment.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers Mini In-dexable Squares

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:04 pm Glad they were so responsive. They pride themselves on quality items so it is nice to see they stand behind their products. I have the Mini Double Square with the 4" ruler. It is a very very nice piece of equipment.
Yeah, I felt bad that I didn't notice the 6" ruler marking issue before so they could have shipped me one box instead of 2 separate replacement orders. The only double square that I had before this one was the Starrett 4" one, but it is almost too small to be usable in my opinion. I really like the size and ruler visibility of the Woodpeckers Mini in-dexable double square, particularly with a 6" ruler in it. I keep the 8" ruler in the combo square. Only had them for a month or two, so I am still getting used to them, but so far I like them a lot. I know Woodpeckers tools are expensive, but I truly appreciate the fit & finish of their products...now I also greatly appreciate their customer service.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor