This looks interesting

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: This looks interesting

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I can see using it for checking for a warp in a blade or fence , but for the SS ya can do the same thing with the miter gage . for a different TS it may be a good tool to have .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

I made a poor mans version of this tool using two MagDRO caliper holders and some wood. I used it a little before I repaired my fence which didn't really lock straight or predictably. IIRC I had a washer in the wrong place and it affected how the fence self-aligned just prior to locking. This device works good to ensure the fence is parallel to the blade (assuming your blade is parallel to the miter slot).

I got the idea originally from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBgceOxkg88 Go to about 7:40 in the video.

Mike -
Attachments
Fence.jpg
Fence.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
mmcdonough
Gold Member

Post by mmcdonough »

I use an Incra TS-LS25 fence system on my SS. Incra has a system for the Shopsmith and it can also be used on a router table. The fence has a fine adjustment feature that will adjust the fence in .001 inches if needed. I love it and have found that it is well worth the cost.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

mmcdonough wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:56 am I use an Incra TS-LS25 fence system on my SS. Incra has a system for the Shopsmith and it can also be used on a router table. The fence has a fine adjustment feature that will adjust the fence in .001 inches if needed. I love it and have found that it is well worth the cost.
Not sure that is true anymore. Incra recently dropped the Shopsmith version of the Incra V120 miter gauge and you can no longer get the Incra miter bars that fit the Shopmith miter slots. Incra specifically told me they end of life'd (EOL) it and weren't planning on catering to Shopsmith anymore. Prior to this, I noticed a few years ago that Shopsmith had their version of the Incra TS-LS25 positioner on their website with a $10,000 price tag which is what they do to let you know that a product is no longer available. I spoke to Incra about it at the time and from what I remember, you would have to buy the TS-LS25 as an Incra standard product and make your own mount, etc. to attach it to the auxilliary table. In other words, I don't think you can get the custom mount and hardware any more for Incra products to fit on a Shopsmith. Not a deal breaker, but just know you have to do additional work to make Incra products fit & work on Shopsmith now.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
mmcdonough
Gold Member

Post by mmcdonough »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:05 am
mmcdonough wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:56 am I use an Incra TS-LS25 fence system on my SS. Incra has a system for the Shopsmith and it can also be used on a router table. The fence has a fine adjustment feature that will adjust the fence in .001 inches if needed. I love it and have found that it is well worth the cost.
Not sure that is true anymore. Incra recently dropped the Shopsmith version of the Incra V120 miter gauge and you can no longer get the Incra miter bars that fit the Shopmith miter slots. Incra specifically told me they end of life'd (EOL) it and weren't planning on catering to Shopsmith anymore. Prior to this, I noticed a few years ago that Shopsmith had their version of the Incra TS-LS25 positioner on their website with a $10,000 price tag which is what they do to let you know that a product is no longer available. I spoke to Incra about it at the time and from what I remember, you would have to buy the TS-LS25 as an Incra standard product and make your own mount, etc. to attach it to the auxilliary table. In other words, I don't think you can get the custom mount and hardware any more for Incra products to fit on a Shopsmith. Not a deal breaker, but just know you have to do additional work to make Incra products fit & work on Shopsmith now.
Thanks for letting me know that. I have their rail support system on my 510 and love it. I also have a shop-made router table attached to the system. Also, I have a second 510 PP that I use for other functions.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

mmcdonough wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:41 am Thanks for letting me know that. I have their rail support system on my 510 and love it. I also have a shop-made router table attached to the system. Also, I have a second 510 PP that I use for other functions.
Yeah, it is unfortunate that Incra has stopped supporting Shopsmith customers as they did in the past. They were one of the few woodworking tool companies that supported Shopsmith equipment.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Did Incra quit Shopsmith or viceversa
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BigSky wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:38 pm Did Incra quit Shopsmith or viceversa
Yeah, that is what I was wondering too. I didn't get a good answer from Incra. It is possible that Shopsmith severed the whatever partnership there is. IF so, it could mean they intend to come out with some new accessories, e.g. new and improved miter gauge, etc.
📶RF Guy

rossjulie
Bronze Member

Post by rossjulie »

claimdude wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:12 am I emailed Woodpecker and they replied that the new tool will not fit the Shopsmith slots. Still it wouldn't take a lot of effort to power sand off a small amount on the back side of the bar to make them fit. I did that with the Rockler thin strip guide.

Jack
I had the same issue, the thin guide really helps.
Last edited by rossjulie on Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

Woodpeckers site says this tool was retired on Monday, 10/11.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)