This looks interesting

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: This looks interesting

Post by RFGuy »

adrianpglover wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:07 am Woodpeckers site says this tool was retired on Monday, 10/11.
Good riddance. It really didn't look like a compelling tool to me. Yeah, Woodpeckers does this with some of their tools where they call them "One Time" tools. Essentially it is a way for them to release new tools to gauge customer interest so they do a limited production run, then put it on the shelf for a time and if interest piques again for the tool they bring it out and produce it again. Eventually if the tool is popular enough it stays as a regular production tool. It is a neat gimmick to get them more sales, but I hate this sales tactic. Same crap that Disney has done for years where they release a few movies a year for purchase and when the sales window closes the movies go back in the vault not to be purchased again for quite a while. It builds up demand and triggers more buying through the psychology of FOMO. Thankfully with streaming now, I think Disney's vault sales tactic is a thing of the past. Hopefully the mothership isn't reading this or you might see similar sales from Shopsmith... ;)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

I never really looked into why they called them "One Time" tools. So it's their branding of a "limited" production run. I thought it was supposed to be some kind of tool to help solve a somewhat more complex issue and make it fairly simple, although between the branding and the few tools I've looked at with the naming now it makes much more sense what you're saying.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

adrianpglover wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:22 am I never really looked into why they called them "One Time" tools. So it's their branding of a "limited" production run. I thought it was supposed to be some kind of tool to help solve a somewhat more complex issue and make it fairly simple, although between the branding and the few tools I've looked at with the naming now it makes much more sense what you're saying.
Yeah, I don't know all of their history with OneTime tools, so I could be wrong. In the short time that I have been following Woodpeckers, it just seems to me that this is what they are doing. I mean every company has sales which are meant to trigger the brain to participate to avoid FOMO (fear of missing out). Woodpeckers takes these typical sales one step further by shelving these tools in between sales. I am sure there are beneficial reasons why they do this too, e.g. they don't have to store inventory, etc.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor