This looks interesting

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

This looks interesting

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Set the fence, set the table to the blade, repeat width cuts and other things
https://www.woodpeck.com/onetimetool-si ... ge-wd.html
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: This looks interesting

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, but what are the chances that it will fit in the non-standard Shopsmith miter gauge slot?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You can get a couple of Shopsmith Miter Gauge Stop Rods shown on the page below:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... rgauge.htm

You could put one one your miter gauge and work out a second one or both using Sliding T-Nuts:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... turesC.htm

Not clear to me why you need more than one if your fence locks in correctly though, it would seem one stop rod on a miter gauge should do the trick.

Still would be nice if that was available for the Shopsmith miter slots.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:39 pm You can get a couple of Shopsmith Miter Gauge Stop Rods shown on the page below:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... rgauge.htm
Possible, yes. Probable, not in my opinion. You would have to drill two centered holes and countersink them on the Shopsmith miter bars to attach them to this Woodpecker device. A lot of added expense and headache for this tool IMHO. It is possible that the existing Woodpeckers miter bar will fit a Shopsmith miter slot, but impossible to know without purchasing it and trying it. I didn't see any specs listed for the Woodpeckers miter bar that comes with it.
WoodpeckersMiterBar.jpg
WoodpeckersMiterBar.jpg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I always try to make all rip cuts needed at a particular width before moving the fence to do some other table saw operation. I don't think I've ever miscounted how many pieces I will need ripped to a particular width, but I have ruined a piece much later in the project and therefore have had a need to go back and make another rip to the original width. It's a pain in the neck that this tool could solve. But the thing is, if I had already made all the rips of a particular width I thought I'd need, I'd probably not bother to use this tool to take a measurement before I moved the fence.

As a tool for checking rip fence alignment or blade alignment, I think I still prefer a dial indicator-based jig.

So I don't see much use for this tool in my workshop.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:35 pm As a tool for checking rip fence alignment or blade alignment, I think I still prefer a dial indicator-based jig.

So I don't see much use for this tool in my workshop.
Thanks Alan. Yeah, I had the same thoughts on this one. I don't see it being useful for repeating a particular rip cut and it isn't clear to me what advantages this has when setting up a rip fence for calibration over using the tried & true dial indicator setup. When I saw Woodpeckers release this one, I just shrugged. Of course, if someone sees a benefit to this tool that I am missing, then please let me know.
📶RF Guy

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

They are interesting...but even if you make 1 cut, change your fence to something else...cant you simply use that first cut you made as the exact reference?

b
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

I emailed Woodpecker and they replied that the new tool will not fit the Shopsmith slots. Still it wouldn't take a lot of effort to power sand off a small amount on the back side of the bar to make them fit. I did that with the Rockler thin strip guide.

Jack
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A detail to consider. Most TS have a fixed distance from the slot to the blade. SS - not so.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:27 am A detail to consider. Most TS have a fixed distance from the slot to the blade. SS - not so.
Really good point!!!!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!