Pleated Cartridge Dust Filter vs. Bag Filters

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Pleated Cartridge Dust Filter vs. Bag Filters

Post by RFGuy »

This is an ad that Stumpy Nubs did for Wynn Environmental. Posting it here because I liked the low tech method he demonstrates for woodworkers to check their dust collection filter for escaping dust (check out video at around 15 seconds). He points out how bag dust filters are dust pumps and just release fine dust back into the shop whereas a good quality pleated filter doesn't. These filters aren't cheap, so I am surprised Stumpy is running this setup with a cyclone in front of the blower, but that is another topic for another day...in fact if you go to Wynn's website they specifically state "Note, this filter is designed to be used with Cyclone and Hybrid systems only. For Single-Stage dust collecters please choose one of the 35-series filters." Maybe Stumpy should have read the filter specs on the website.

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
AEA
Gold Member

Re: Pleated Cartridge Dust Filter vs. Bag Filters

Post by AEA »

Hmmm. I never saw that particular video. Your post scared me because I bought one. :eek:
I watched this one and he listed the specific one out of the 35 series that he used with his HP dust collector.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oosMqnORR6k

That video convinced me to try the HP dust collector. Ive shied away from it before mainly because it is so cheap compared to the others Ive looked at, but I guess I'll have a filter with no collector. :rolleyes:

HP is out and their replacements were supposed to be here Oct 27, but according to a rep I talked to on the phone they are stuck on a ship on the west coast.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

"Note, this filter is designed to be used with Cyclone and Hybrid systems only. For Single-Stage dust collecters please choose one of the 35-series filters." Maybe Stumpy should have read the filter specs on the website.

Now he'll just have to convert it with a cyclone for his next video. Saves on thinking up new content. :D
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Thanks for sharing this RF Guy.
It'll give me other options if no dust collector becomes available.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I've seen him pull and replace at least one video where he was factually wrong (it was about CNCs). That one was a somewhat quick narration change and was up I think the same or maybe next day.

It will be interesting to see if he addresses this faux pas.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I pointed out the discrepancy to Stumpy in the comments, but I doubt he will take down the video or even make a rebuttal. We will see. I wasn't trying to nitpick it either, but it is dangerous for these social media influencers to advice woodworkers to use products AGAINST the manufacturer's specifications. I mean it clearly was an ad for Wynn Environmental because he called them out in the video, in my opinion. So, when I went to the flanged filter that he said he used in the video, the one that is linked off of his video description, I see a clear note at the bottom of the webpage that says it is only intended for use with a cyclone system, i.e. it is not intended for a single stage cyclone. They state to use the series 35 filters that they sell if you want to use it with a single stage dust collector (no cyclone). Given the filter he used in the video, it probably will clog up a lot faster than the series 35 would be my guess for why they have that note there. Stumpy's response was "Wynn commissioned this video and requested it be used exactly as I used it." Guess they don't mind customers buying their filters, using them against manufacturer instructions, and then complaining when they have shortened filter life due to clogging as a result.

On the Harbor Freight dust collector, I have no experience with it, but I have watched a TON of videos online that sing its praises. If nothing else, I think it is an exceptional value. I think you will be very happy with the HF dust collector. If you decide to go with the Wynn filters with it, you might want to get an Oneida Super Dust Deputy cyclone to use with it. That combination should last a long, long time before ever needing a filter change if you do the cyclone. Good luck with it and let us know how you like it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:37 pmOn the Harbor Freight dust collector, I have no experience with it, but I have watched a TON of videos online that sing its praises. If nothing else, I think it is an exceptional value. I think you will be very happy with the HF dust collector. If you decide to go with the Wynn filters with it, you might want to get an Oneida Super Dust Deputy cyclone to use with it. That combination should last a long, long time before ever needing a filter change if you do the cyclone. Good luck with it and let us know how you like it.
I have the large HF DC, but has been sitting out in my now powerless shed. It worked well, but due to high starting and running current and a single circuit, I had to think about the order of powering things up and as I recall had a couple combos that I had to power off everything else in there, and as I seem to remember that I couldn't run the DC and start the Shopsmith (that SS may have some motor issues as it gave me other fits at times, haven't used it in some time since buying a 510).

Also, the HF DC is noisy if you are near it. IMHO, the previous generation Shopsmith DC is a good bit quieter (I now have one of these that I presently use in my garage) and it is pretty capable and I've had no problems sharing it on the same circuit as other equipment. It even does a great job extracting from my drum sander which suggested it needed a much higher CFM. About the only thing I'm not sure how well the SS DC does is extracting from my SawStop PCS, there may not be enough CFM to compensate for all the openings in the cabinet.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Thanks for the input Roy,
I'm all hearing protection up when I'm using my stuff any way so I doubt if the dust collector will any worse. Hopefully the harbor ships will soon be able to unload so I can test it.

Thanks for the encouragement RF Guy, I'll send a report if I ever get it home. :rolleyes:
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The end of April this year I decided to get one of the Harbor Freight dust collectors. I stopped at my local Harbor store to order one and they told me that expected arrival time was mid July. But, happily, they called me a couple of weeks into May that they had it in the store. I picked it up and have been using it this Fall. I'm very happy with it. I have it in a separate part of my shop but there is no door or way to close up between that area and my work area. I find that the sound of it isn't loud or annoying at all. It does a great job of cleaning up with the jointer and planer, but the table saw guard and connection allows much of the sawdust to escape. That isn't the fault of the dust collector, but just the design of the table saw guard that allows that.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

garys wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:29 am
…It does a great job of cleaning up with the jointer and planer, but the table saw guard and connection allows much of the sawdust to escape. That isn't the fault of the dust collector, but just the design of the table saw guard that allows that.
On my Mark 5 500 I’ve found that if I connect two hoses and have the upper saw guard on, I end up with a lot less chips on the floor. At first I only connected one of the hoses and much more ended up on the floor, although it was better than not having dust collection at all.

What model Mark and lower saw guard do you have?
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)