1948 Shopsmith

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Francis
Bronze Member

1948 Shopsmith

Post by Francis »

Hi All: This is my first post. I have a 1948 Shopsmith that was my father's. I learned how to use power tools on this machine. I not longer have room for it and want it to go to a good home. Any suggestions? I live in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks. Francis
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 1948 Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

IF anyone here is interested they will contact you by private message.

Direct selling is not condoned by our sponsor(shopsmith).

E-Bay and Craigslist are options.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Francis,

Welcome to the forum. IF I lived closer, I would be interested, but hopefully another forum member near you will respond on this thread or through private messaging and contact you. Hope you find an owner who will cherish it and take good care of it. Good luck.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Francis,

Although I live in the Portland area I am currently working on restoring two 1947 Model 10E Shopsmiths and with other restorations, including two Mark 2's, to do I am currently not looking for any additional projects. I restore Shopsmiths as a hobby and resell them after restoration. I would suggest advertising it on craigslist since it will target the local area and with the size/weight of a Shopsmith Model 10E at about 200 + pounds it is not something you want to ship. 24 of the 25 Shopsmith Model 10's I own or have owned I found on craigslist. Do include pictures of it and all accessories that come with it. Depending on the condition it should sell for a reasonable price. The better the condition and more accessories it has the better the price. If you post it on craigslist I will see it and if okay I could make suggestions for your posting to better describe it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Francis,

Are you looking to donate this machine to a good home or to sell it? Your original post wasn't clear. You have already received responses on this thread for options for selling it. When I originally read your post, I assumed you wanted it to go to a good home and were not necessarily looking to sell it. If that is the case, you might be able to find a local wood shop at a high school that might be interested in it. Another option is to reach out to local woodworking clubs/groups and see if they have any members that will give it a good home. Similarly, if another forum member responds that is near you they may be able to take it off your hands. Just wanted to give you some more options if selling it wasn't your main priority. Best of luck with it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There are "wood shops" in your local school today?

I thought the insurance folks made them extinct.

P.S. I may have inadvertently introduced the 'sell' intention. :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I doesn't look like Francis has been back or at least hasn't posted again. I haven't seen any new ads on CL for a 10E in my area. I hope he found a good home for it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.