Domino alternative - Semi Auto Router Jig

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Domino alternative - Semi Auto Router Jig

Post by RFGuy »

This just popped up in my YT feed recently and it looked interesting so I thought I would share it. Someone has made what looks like a well built jig that holds a palm router and lets you create mortises for loose tenon joinery that can accept Domino tenons. Definitely a lot slower than using a Festool Domino, but it is considerably cheaper. The website shows it being sold out right now, but I am guessing that is because they started with a limited production run in manufacturing. I'd be curious to see a review if anyone decides to purchase and try it out. Having researched the Festool Domino for the past few years, I have to say this is the best looking alternative IMHO thus far.

https://unitedclamps.ca/products/domino ... 5780491447

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164967801392?h ... SwK7hhB4jv
DominoJig.jpg
DominoJig.jpg (79.38 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
DominoJig2.jpg
DominoJig2.jpg (122.82 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Domino alternative - Semi Auto Router Jig

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:48 pm This just popped up in my YT feed recently and it looked interesting so I thought I would share it. Someone has made what looks like a well built jig that holds a palm router and lets you create mortises for loose tenon joinery that can accept Domino tenons. Definitely a lot slower than using a Festool Domino, but it is considerably cheaper. The website shows it being sold out right now, but I am guessing that is because they started with a limited production run in manufacturing. I'd be curious to see a review if anyone decides to purchase and try it out. Having researched the Festool Domino for the past few years, I have to say this is the best looking alternative IMHO thus far.
Ignoring price, it seems like a nice jig. The emphasis on 'Domino' seems, to me, intended to sell and to justify price. It appears to be effective. I think it is a 'handheld slot mortise jig.' United Clamps shows a bench jig to hold the handheld jig, I would for sure want a bigger router for that, they are talking up to 10mm plunge cuts. I've never used a trim router for a cut like that, but I know they are more powerful than they used to be. It is pretty easy to make a slot mortise jig. It appears to me, for one example, that this thing could be used to make the popular 1/4" slot mortises over a defined (but unstated) range of variable widths. Compatible with 1/4" tenons, including but not limited to floating.

My two cents. The word Domino has been a game changer, commercially, in woodworking. And the concept is responsible for an explosion in the popular use of specific sizes of floating M&T. Because of the tool. But floating M&T and slot mortise are not recent inventions. If I were to get on that bandwagon it would be because I became convinced that I should be using way more (like 100X or more) Domino-sized floating M&T joints and in that case I'd be looking for the faster better way to make them.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 am they are talking up to 10mm plunge cuts. I've never used a trim router for a cut like that, but I know they are more powerful than they used to be. It is pretty easy to make a slot mortise jig.
Yeah, that is why I said this method is slower than a Festool Domino. You can see in the video that he takes multiple passes so it is probably 10x slower than using a Festool Domino for the same operation.
DLB wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 am If I were to get on that bandwagon it would be because I became convinced that I should be using way more (like 100X or more) Domino-sized floating M&T joints and in that case I'd be looking for the faster better way to make them.

- David
Well, if you want to make these faster, I wouldn't recommend this jig. I haven't seen or used anything faster than the Festool Domino for making loose M&T joints. Yes, I am a true believer because I own one, but prior to that I was very skeptical so I am definitely a convert.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

An alternative is to build your own Domino jig. This guy built a very similar looking jig that he uses with a pneumatic router. Still kind of an expensive setup unless you already have the router you intend to use.

📶RF Guy