WOODPECKERS ULTIMATE DOWELING JIG 2.0

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

WOODPECKERS ULTIMATE DOWELING JIG 2.0

Post by RFGuy »

Boy, I thought Jessem had the top of the market with their doweling jig at $200, but I guess Woodpeckers just had to top them with a $600 version. I must admit it is beautifully constructed and well thought out. You can also use it for creating shelf pins or for making dowel connections in the middle of a panel which you can't do with other doweling jigs. Setup is very manual and you won't win any speed contests with it, but if you are patient and want the best of the best, this definitely looks like the ultimate doweling jig. It is a ONETIME tool from Woodpeckers so hurry and place your order if interested...

https://www.woodpeck.com/ott-ultimate-d ... -2021.html
WoodpeckersDowelingJig.jpg
WoodpeckersDowelingJig.jpg (101.55 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Re: WOODPECKERS ULTIMATE DOWELING JIG 2.0

Post by garys »

It would be overkill for my kind of use. I find it very easy to make accurate dowel holes using my Shopsmith in horizontal boring position. In my small shop, fewer tools that do multiple jobs are better than more tools to do the job.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

garys wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:23 am It would be overkill for my kind of use. I find it very easy to make accurate dowel holes using my Shopsmith in horizontal boring position. In my small shop, fewer tools that do multiple jobs are better than more tools to do the job.
I agree. It is OVERKILL. I thought my Jessem doweling jig was a luxury and a splurge when I bought it at $200. Don't get me wrong, the Jessem jig is an exceptional dowel jig - designed well and built well. I couldn't imagine spending more than this for ANY doweling jig even if it butters toast for me and dices vegetables and....well you get the idea. :)

I do applaud Woodpeckers though for the effort that they put into this dowel jig and for adding some new features that the competition doesn't have. IF I wanted the ultimate doweling jig, this would be it, but who wants to pay 2/3 the price of a Festool Domino for one? Besides you bring up a good point regarding horizontal boring on a Shopsmith. I always hate my fence slipping with it though and I am too lazy to put a clamp behind the fence, but I know others love the horizontal boring feature.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:59 am
... Besides you bring up a good point regarding horizontal boring on a Shopsmith. I always hate my fence slipping with it though and I am too lazy to put a clamp behind the fence, but I know others love the horizontal boring feature.
Have you tried adjusting your 520 fence clamps? I forget the adjustment procedure details, but after adjusting mine some years ago, my 520 fence has never moved on me during horizontal boring, or anything else. Some graphite powder on the clamping-lever cams will allow them to actuate easily, even when adjusted for nice tight clamping. Before I applied the graphite, they were quite difficult to actuate.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:40 am Have you tried adjusting your 520 fence clamps? I forget the adjustment procedure details, but after adjusting mine some years ago, my 520 fence has never moved on me during horizontal boring, or anything else. Some graphite powder on the clamping-lever cams will allow them to actuate easily, even when adjusted for nice tight clamping. Before I applied the graphite, they were quite difficult to actuate.
Dennis,

Thanks. I tried this once before and it only helped a little, but I may not have explored this enough. I think what and how you are drilling make a difference too. For example, using a sharp Brad point drill bit is rather effortless for horizontal boring, in my opinion, requiring minimal force. I tend to drill more often with Forstner bits, depending on the application. Even with a sharp bit, Forstner's seem to put a lot more pressure against that fence. I have no data/proof on this, but just based on the feel of it when I have done this with each.
📶RF Guy

edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

garys wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:23 am It would be overkill for my kind of use. I find it very easy to make accurate dowel holes using my Shopsmith in horizontal boring position. In my small shop, fewer tools that do multiple jobs are better than more tools to do the job.
+1!