Live center

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

propwash
Silver Member

Live center

Post by propwash »

Is there a drive center for the headstock end for turning a piece "between centers"? NOT a screw or spur drive. I know live centers for the tailstock.
Thanks for the help
Danny
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Live center

Post by beeg »

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

propwash wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:20 pm Is there a drive center for the headstock end for turning a piece "between centers"? NOT a screw or spur drive. I know live centers for the tailstock.
Thanks for the help
Danny
:confused: :confused: :confused: What kind of drive center are you looking for?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
propwash
Silver Member

Post by propwash »

I want to turn pen-like objects between centers. Something like this.
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (7.07 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Oneway makes a similar one for the SS spindle: https://oneway.ca/Safe%20Driver%20for%2 ... th%20Lathe

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

That looks like a dead center used in the tail stock, possibly for a metal lathe. If you put that type of center in the head stock and a live center in the tail stock the material/blank would not turn. The head stock has to grip the blank. For pens you need a pen mandrel.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/pen-mandrels.html

If you don't want a hole in the center of your finished project you would use an oversized piece of stock so you can use a spur drive or a chuck or mandrel to hold the stock and then turn it down to the finished size and remove the excess.

In any case the head stock end must drive the stock.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:38 pm Oneway makes a similar one for the SS spindle: https://oneway.ca/Safe%20Driver%20for%2 ... th%20Lathe

- David
Is that not a spur drive? Just a little smaller than the SS version. The OP said he doesn't want a spur drive. You can't turn on any lathe unless the head stock holds the stock (spur, screw. face plate, chuck, etc.)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:53 pm
DLB wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:38 pm Oneway makes a similar one for the SS spindle: https://oneway.ca/Safe%20Driver%20for%2 ... th%20Lathe

- David
Is that not a spur drive? Just a little smaller than the SS version. The OP said he doesn't want a spur drive. You can't turn on any lathe unless the head stock holds the stock (spur, screw. face plate, chuck, etc.)
Oneway calls it a 'Safe Driver.' I've never seen one, but I don't think there is a spur. The sample the OP posted appears to be a Oneway 2593 Safe Driver, this is in the same family.

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've not used a drive like was pictured. One thing to remember is that the shopsmith doesn't have a method to use MT type tools on the head stock side ie the drive side.

I have a couple of tools that I use and while not quite what was ask about they do work for turning and have no spurs. First is the common mandrel as was mentioned. That works well and is pretty inexpensive to start with. I easy improvement is to get a better tail stock that has a through hole and bearings.

Then there are systems like this:
ms1.jpg
ms1.jpg (181.19 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
This starts with collet system to hold the drive side so that alone runs some money and this is not commonly used system but does work on the shopsmith as shown.

This is drive I designed and had built for me:
ms2.jpg
ms2.jpg (227.56 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
It has seen better days, I really should clean it up but it too is a drive center that I use in the 1/2" router chuck shopsmith sells.

Lots of way to do the same thing.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I am not a pen turner but don't most pen turners use a mandrel ? https://www.amazon.com/pen-mandrel/s?k=pen+mandrel
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)