Shopsmith 6" x 48" belt sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RCZ
Gold Member

Shopsmith 6" x 48" belt sander

Post by RCZ »

Hello everyone

I just bought a ~1992 Mark V 510 and I am in the process of getting it all set up. One thing I would like to buy right now from Shopsmith is the 6" x 48" belt sander 555355. For those of you who have this SPT, please let me know how you rate the dust collection. This will be based in part on what you have hooked up to the dust port so include that info, as well.

I will likely have this connected to an Oneida Dust Cobra. I'm not expecting total dust collection but hoping that this belt sander doesn't send off huge clouds of dust in the garage.

Another Q: does anyone have experience with both the Shopsmith brand sanding belts and the AO sanding belts (listed on the website)? Are the SS branded abrasive belts worth the higher price?

Thanks in advance for any comments you might have for me to consider.

Rob
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith 6" x 48" belt sander

Post by algale »

Connected to a DC3300 the dust collection on the belt sander is ok but not great -- in other words like every other Shopsmith power tool. After a sanding session, particularly using coarse grit, there will be dust collecting on the surfaces of the Shopsmith leg below the belt sander.

The ceramic belts last longer than AO. Worth the higher price? I think so.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

algale--thanks for the info.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you happen to pick up an old used one be aware that there is an upgrade to the dust collection for them. Not sure when that changed but the one I got in the mid 70's needed the upgrade.

Even with the dust collection running there is still dust, but if you ever try using it without dust collection you will see the "clouds" of dust and it settles everywhere. I did that just once.

I use to get a lot more use out of the belt sander, then it started having issues I sort of went off it for some years. A few years back I decided to spend the money to get it back to new condition but I still don't use it much. Just depends on the projects you are working on and now much effort I feel like putting into get set up to use it. Strip sander is easier to use for smaller projects so I tend to go that way more often then the big belt sander. I should use it more since I spent the money to redo it but.........

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have the older style belt sander. Dust collection is what I consider "adequate". For years I used my Shopvac and it was OK. Now I have a large dust collector so I use it instead. Both work OK. I always wear a dust mask when sanding, just like when using the lathe because it is far more messy than the belt sander.
I find that my belt sander is my go-to SPT. It gets more use than any of my other SPTs.
I have used the lower priced belts for many years and am fully satisfied with their performance. I suppose the ceramic belts would work somewhat better and last longer.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Ed, Gary-thanks for the info. It sounds like I can expect decent DC.

I'm sure it can't be as bad as using Grandpa's belt sander when I was a kid. No dust collection but instead dust dispersal through the shop door into the Kansas wind LOL.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I have the old collector port. Just using with a shop vac right now and the dust collection is not great. I think it is actually grabbing a large percentage of the dust but what remains is ending up in the air distributed on the floor beneath. I think vertical mode puts more of the dust in the air. I definitely need to upgrade the dust chute and get my dust collector connected.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

My Belt Sander is from 1977. It originally had the 1-1/4" dust port and I upgraded it to the 2-1/2" port. An easy change to do. The Dust Chute changed from 1-1/4” to 2-1/2” in August 1987. I have the Shopsmith DC330L Dust Collector which with the 2-1/2" chute does a fair job of collecting the dust. Dust collection wasn't as good with the 1-1/4" port.

Something to note about the Belt Sander is some built in versatility with the double ended drive shaft. It can be powered on either side of the headstock and the "extra" shaft end can have a drum sander mounted for additional sanding capabilities.

A plus through tomorrow is the Belt Sander is on sale along with sanding belts.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I ordered it and some belts. $60+ for shipping OH to northern VA (where is my exploding head imogi from my iphone !?)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Free shipping was from black Friday to cyber Monday. Of course, the Belt Sander wasn't on sale then, but you did end up saving more on the sale prices than you would have on just shipping you are paying.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.