Another one bites the dust

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Another one bites the dust

Post by reible »

Well someone messed up. And it was me. When putting the battery in I some how folded the side tab under the battery. No surprise it didn't work so I set it aside. That was a couple days ago when I was working on that jig to cut the angle.... This is an angle finder.

Then when I found what I had done I tried to fold it back into position. As you can see that did not go well.
anotheronebites the dust.jpg
anotheronebites the dust.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
This was not the first issue I have had with this tool. It has magnets and like to fall out. I finally CA'ed them in place.

I usually like igauge tools but this is the exception.

I might take it apart to see how it works but not planning on attempting a repair.

Now to look for a replacement. Anyone?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Another one bites the dust

Post by DLB »

If I was replacing mine I would get one that includes the 'spirit level' function. Mine is a Wixey, and I'm happy with it. IIUC the AngleCube models offer better resolution (.05 Vs .1 degrees). AngleCube is an igaging tool but isn't like yours. I haven't looked enough to know if anyone offers both the level and the higher resolution in one unit.

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

DLB wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:31 pm If I was replacing mine I would get one that includes the 'spirit level' function. Mine is a Wixey, and I'm happy with it. IIUC the AngleCube models offer better resolution (.05 Vs .1 degrees). AngleCube is an igaging tool but isn't like yours. I haven't looked enough to know if anyone offers both the level and the higher resolution in one unit.

- David
These serve a different function then the anglecube and the like. I have both a Beall and a Wixey already.

This was an early version of this so it is possible that igauge has changed the battery compartment and I know they now have a version with scales on the arms, which I think is a better idea. The magnetic one was of little use to me and was more of a problem then an aide.
apart1.jpg
apart1.jpg (120.95 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Ed
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I refuse to buy any tool that has a battery if a comparable mechanical tool that doesn't use batteries is available to do the job. Nothing sucks as bad as needing a tool only to find it has a dead battery when you take it out of the toolbox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I misunderstood... I have the really cheap version of Wixey digital protractor that Woodcraft regularly has on sale for about 12 bucks: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/wixe ... -rule-wr41 I find I always reach for an old school protractor. If I was to buy another digital I would look for one that had a way to lock the blades to the set angle.

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yes like anything else you run out of or having a dead battery can be an issue. I stock a good supply of all the batteries I use and especially the ones I don't want to be without. In this case CR2032 is a very common battery for these type tools and I get them in 10 packs. Of course this is no different then running out of anything you are expecting to use, ie nails, screws, you name it.

The lock on this last one was weak, even when cranked down it was easy to bump off the lock position. Hope for a better one on the next one.

I think I have picked one out:

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-To ... to_dp&th=1

I have been really happy with the combo square I got from them so I think I will try this. It uses the same batteries and looks like a nicer locking system.

Ed
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

garys wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 am I refuse to buy any tool that has a battery if a comparable mechanical tool that doesn't use batteries is available to do the job. Nothing sucks as bad as needing a tool only to find it has a dead battery when you take it out of the toolbox.
----------
I second that .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

garys wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 am I refuse to buy any tool that has a battery if a comparable mechanical tool that doesn't use batteries is available to do the job. Nothing sucks as bad as needing a tool only to find it has a dead battery when you take it out of the toolbox.
I would have agreed in the past but some of these devices are so inexpensive I get them anyway. If the electronic micrometer stops working I still have the mechanical one. The mechanical one is way more accurate but for 99% of what I do the electronic one is good enough. I have my batteries organized now (organized=randomly aggregated in one place) so not such a big issue now but I had to run up to the CVS a couple of times to buy replacements when I couldn't find the extras.

OTOH I have a cheap laser level, good enough to put up shelves and other basic tasks, but the battery will be dead when I try to use it because I have a few bubble levels in different sizes and shapes that I use for everything and wouldn't even think of getting out the new fangled one. I also have several stud finders given to me as gifts. The first two I accepted as graciously as I could even though my house was a log cabin. The third one came from my son to commemorate the new stick built addition and I used it a couple of times even though my ears and knuckles work just as well.

Coming back around to the OP, it is the cheap construction of these things that bothers me more than the dead batteries, and that's what did in our noble knight. I may be more like the typical consumer than I'd like to consider myself, but while I desire sturdier and more durable products I'd probably balk at the much much higher price they would have to sell for.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER