Anyone else know what "True 32" is?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Anyone else know what "True 32" is?

Post by reible »

If you don't you will soon. If you work in both imperial and metric or just metric this 32mm number will come up a lot especially in cabinetry work where I feel you are better off to just work in metric, conversions can be a pain.

So you are work in a base 32 system and well 32mm, then 64mm, 96mm, 128mm, and now I have to start adding. It really get bad when you get to say 1152mm, is that a 32mm increment? Or say you have something that needs to be about a foot tall but it doesn't have to be right on 12" but it would be nice to be on a 32mm increment. So you say "Alexa" how many mm is 12", she answers 304.8mm, well we know that isn't going to be a sweet 32 number.....

So here is where a rule that is a TRUE 32 comes in. If I look at the rule I see that the close 32mm numbers are 288 and 320, so I can just pick one and I'm off to work again. Yes there are other ways but lets look at this way.

Fastcap, a company I have both loved and hated over the years but at least they do have something that I find useful. This is their Pro Carpenter True 32 tape measure. Yes it has the usual pencil sharpener, notepad, rubber casing, dual locks etc.
true32a.jpg
true32a.jpg (104.77 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
true32b.jpg
true32b.jpg (154.01 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
true32c.jpg
true32c.jpg (143.23 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
Those little dots are the 32 increments, in case you haven't figured that out yet.

So now you know what this is about. You can decide if this might be of help or just a waste of time.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DZIN
Gold Member

Re: Anyone else know what "True 32" is?

Post by DZIN »

For a guy that hates using a tape measure for anything other than gross measurements, I sure have a plethora of them. There's the "normal" ones with feet and inches, the hybrids with both metric and imperial, the metric only ones and, the one I find most useful that uses tenths of an inch. But, my go to system for tool set ups is a combination of 1, 2, 3 blocks, key way stock and feeler gauges. And, I've been known to use playing cards, as well.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I never came around to the metric system , fractions and decimals was never a issue . I very much dislike metric bolts and hardware not to mention metric blades . most are not as beefy as imperial eq . I have a few squares graduated in the metric system but hardly ever use the measuring graduations . with out glasses as thick as coke bottles old folks like me have issues trying to read those small lines and IMO accuracy is not any better .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I'm amused that the label says it is a "16foot" tape but there are no other imperial markings!

My work took me to Europe a couple of times for several years so I used metric for many things, including most of my woodworking. It's not difficult. But I strongly dislike using both systems together. Are American cars ever going to go to one system or the other for fasteners? :confused: Seems like we've been 'in transition' for 40 years now.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

To resolve the differences between the various measurement systems we should we should switch to the Planck Length System. You just have to learn the number of Planck Lengths for each of the conventional measurements. For instance, 1 in is equal to 1.588e+33 pl and 1 mm is equal to 6.25e+31 pl. Just memorize those values to convert between them.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

edma194 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:16 am To resolve the differences between the various measurement systems we should we should switch to the Planck Length System. You just have to learn the number of Planck Lengths for each of the conventional measurements. For instance, 1 in is equal to 1.588e+33 pl and 1 mm is equal to 6.25e+31 pl. Just memorize those values to convert between them.
That's kinda what I do, but I find it helps to tally them in score. I.e. "(8 score and 15)e+33 pl"
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I switched my shop to all metric about 10 years ago and for cabinets settled on the KISS II 32mm cabinet building style. Unfortunately 32mm hole spacing is the only commonality among the various 32mm systems. 32mm came about because that was the minimum spindle spacing on line boring machines for European cabinets 80+ years ago ... and some things never change once established.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

edma194 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:16 am To resolve the differences between the various measurement systems we should we should switch to the Planck Length System. You just have to learn the number of Planck Lengths for each of the conventional measurements. For instance, 1 in is equal to 1.588e+33 pl and 1 mm is equal to 6.25e+31 pl. Just memorize those values to convert between them.
The British are also known to use the Planck Length System to measure mental acuity. ;)

Thus the saying. "He is as thick as two short Plancks" :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

rpd wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:08 am The British are also known to use the Planck Length System to measure mental acuity. ;)

Thus the saying. "He is as thick as two short Plancks" :)
Very good ;). Have to remember that for my friends across the pond. 'Pond' is the British word for 'ocean' of course. They are required by law to talk funny over there.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Tomorrow, December 23rd is the 46th anniversary of the passing of the US Metric Conversion Act. I don't think we did too well.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER