DC-3300 to DC-6000 upgrade: Yea or Nay?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Re: DC-3300 to DC-6000 upgrade: Yea or Nay?

Post by SteveMaryland »

A pressure vs flow "pump curve" describes all the "operating points" of the pump or compressor. Ideally we want to run the "system" (pump, pipes, valves etc) at the point on the curve where the product of flow X pressure is a maximum. The attached jpg, previously displayed, shows (approximately) where that op point is.

Every pump fan, compressor has such a curve, either supplied by the mfgr or can be plotted from measurements.

In reality, keeping the system working exactly on that best op point is impossible. If we want more flow or pressure, we must get away from that op point.
Attachments
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (60.18 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Majones1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:18 am Back to an earlier point about how many of us can use only a single hose in our small shops and therefore conclude the DC-6000 wouldn’t give us any advantage over what we have with our DC-3300. That is mostly true for me, but I have a Mk5 500 and the upgraded lower blade guard/dust collector attachment has two hose ports that definitely increase the dust collection effectiveness. Even with this better dust collection, a lot of dust still makes it’s way outside the guard/DC attachment. It is here where I would think that the increased CFM might be beneficial. Is there anyone here on the forum who can speak to this configuration?
I frequently run TS and Jointer in tandem on a Mark and my router table also has two connections. I definitely see an improvement for both of those using two hoses in comparison to the 3300. I don't have, and have never had, the lower saw guard with two connections, so can't speak on that specifically. I had noticed in one of your pics in another thread that you have quite a bit of escaped dust on your TS compared to what I think is normal (520 setup). But I don't have great collection on my TS either.

One member (claimdude?) uses the DC-6000 with no plenum and a 4" hose, with reducer near the tool for a single hose setup. I have not tried this yet but I believe it would be significantly better as a single hose setup. (Not recommended for the DC-3300. IIUC air velocity in the 4" line is known or believed to be too low to keep the dust suspended.)

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

This is a post I was looking for earlier: viewtopic.php?p=285543#p285543 It is on an unmodified DC-3300, except for the large filter hood. One of the few posts recently with actual instrumentation, though no photos. Of significant note: RFGuy measured more than double the airflow with the plenum removed Vs the combined total of the three ports. While the combined area of the three ports is comparable to the single port with plenum removed. If accurate, that would suggest something unexpected, perhaps turbulence(?), in the plenum. Someone that aced fluid dynamics could weigh in on this...

Note: RFGuy has been silent recently on the forum. I hope that everything is okay. I sensed that he might have been perturbed with the direction another thread went. I hope, if that is the case, he again becomes active on the forum. I think any disagreements were meant to be respectful and constructive.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:02 pm Note: RFGuy has been silent recently on the forum. I hope that everything is okay. I sensed that he might have been perturbed with the direction another thread went. I hope, if that is the case, he again becomes active on the forum. I think any disagreements were meant to be respectful and constructive.

- David
David,

Thanks. I am still alive and kicking. I was certainly surprised by the direction a few threads took last year, but no that is not why I left the forum. I wasn't feeling very fulfilled in participating online last year, so I curtailed all of my social media and have been much happier as a result of it. There are lots of experts on this forum, so my meager contributions probably won't be missed. I still pop in from time to time to check on any threads that interest me, but I do it a lot less often now. :D

P.S. Happy New Year!
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:22 am
DLB wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:02 pm Note: RFGuy has been silent recently on the forum. I hope that everything is okay. I sensed that he might have been perturbed with the direction another thread went. I hope, if that is the case, he again becomes active on the forum. I think any disagreements were meant to be respectful and constructive.

- David
David,

Thanks. I am still alive and kicking. I was certainly surprised by the direction a few threads took last year, but no that is not why I left the forum. I wasn't feeling very fulfilled in participating online last year, so I curtailed all of my social media and have been much happier as a result of it. There are lots of experts on this forum, so my meager contributions probably won't be missed. I still pop in from time to time to check on any threads that interest me, but I do it a lot less often now. :D

P.S. Happy New Year!
Thank you for that update, I'm glad to hear you are doing well. For the record - I understand but I'll miss your contributions.

- David
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

DLB wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:33 am
RFGuy wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:22 am

- David
David,

P.S. Happy New Year!
Thank you for that update, I'm glad to hear you are doing well. For the record - I understand but I'll miss your contributions.

- David
I agree with David, I will definitely miss your contributions. I had to give up all the social media sites several years ago and my mental life is much happier.

Happy New Year to you too.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So does this indicate ignorance(of social media gossip etc.) is bliss? ;>}
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I believe so. And maybe bliss is the attainment and maintenance of your ignorance.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Keep in mind that this forum IS a form of social media. Thanks to David and Marc for your kind words. It is appreciated and I will miss conversing with you. To those in the peanut gallery, I say sayonara.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Tiim2Relax
Silver Member

Post by Tiim2Relax »

Hello,

I just wanted to give my opinion which seems different than most.

My DC3000 was over 20 years old. I performed the upgrade and am happy I did. My dust collector works better and quieter. I feel like it gave me a new dust collector for half the price of purchasing new.

I did, however, run into one problem. After about 2 months of use, the starter capacitor adhesive mounting tape came loose, the capacitor dangled, and one of it's leads came out of the crimp terminal. Shopsmith replaced the capacitor at no charge. This time, I installed the capacitor with a 1-1/2" diameter clamp and am not relying on the adhesive mounting tape. See photos attached.
Inside view
Inside view
Capacitor mount.jpg (246.8 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Outside view
Outside view
Capacitor mount2.jpg (165.02 KiB) Viewed 1201 times