SS Panel Clamps

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KCollins
Gold Member

SS Panel Clamps

Post by KCollins »

I have the opportunity to purchase 4 - 36" SS Panel Clamps for $75.00. Is that a good deal? Do these clamps even work as advertised? I have several panels I need to make in a project this spring. What's everyone's thoughts?
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
algale
Platinum Member

Re: SS Panel Clamps

Post by algale »

I'd take that deal if they are in good condition. I have 3 of the 36" length and have used them on some big glue ups, including a few weeks ago for a very large end grain cutting board. They work very well once you learn a few tricks (like take off the top caul while you set your strips in place and get them glued).
Last edited by algale on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

That's a great deal. I have three of them, and they do work as advertised.

Woodpeckers is currently running a special on their version of that design. $600 for four of them, on sale. And they don't have the curved cauls like the Shopsmith clamps. And you have to wait six months to get them.

https://www.woodpeck.com/clampzilla-3.html

As Al notes, getting the boards into place within the panel clamps can be fussy, because the clamp springs want to keep them closed. Nick Engler did a video some time back; IIRC he was using the panel clamps to create a veneer press. In any case, he used a technique that I've been meaning to try. He basically just cut some small spacer blocks, and before loading in the workpiece boards, he placed a spacer just inside in each end of each panel clamp. The spacers hold the cauls apart while loading, and then you remove them after the workpiece boards are all in place.
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Cool thanks guys...
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Also, while Shopsmith still sells them, they changed the hardware. I have no idea if it works as well, but it definitely does not look as cool as the old hardware which looked exactly like the big aluminum "wing nut" used on the Shopsmith head stock lock, depth stop lock and quill lock.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

algale wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:09 pm Also, while Shopsmith still sells them, they changed the hardware. I have no idea if it works as well, but it definitely does not look as cool as the old hardware which looked exactly like the big aluminum "wing nut" used on the Shopsmith head stock lock, depth stop lock and quill lock.
That's what these have.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I'd buy them for sure! I wish I had bought 4 rather than 3 when I did. Dang I'm jealous, lol.

Btw, Shopsmith will now sell you just the wood cauls.

KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Well I bought them. They are straight and in really good shape.
IMG_3782-Reduced.JPG
IMG_3782-Reduced.JPG (213.1 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
IMG_3781 - Reduced.JPG
IMG_3781 - Reduced.JPG (337.67 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

I'm going to try them out tonight at a community education woodworking class.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Wax the heck out of the wood surfaces/faces. That way any glue drips will flick right off.