Tool shelf

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

putttn
Gold Member

Tool shelf

Post by putttn »

I see SS wants 56.00 for the wooden tool shelf under the SS. Anyone ever just make one?
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

put:

I have looked at the accessory shelf in the past and decided against it. Now maybe this is just my personal preference, but I like to keep all distractions away from the basic machine. I didn't want to be tempted to lean down to get something while the machine was running. Also, cleaning up all the chips & dust from the shelf and tools would be a constant nuisance. Again, this is just me. I'm sure there are others who love their accessory shelves.

My choice was the Storage Station, pn 555761. Even on sale at $236.25 it's a little pricey, but it has done wonders to help organize my accessories and tools. I improved it even more by adding a 16"x52" shelf underneath. It fits neatly on the angle support brackets between the legs. Lotsa tools go on that shelf. The Storage Station is on castors so it can be positioned to optimately serve the basic machine.

I bought a used demo station at Shopsmith's retail store, for only about $85 if I remember correctly. It only had a few scratches. There are always good bargains at the retail store in Dayton. If you happen to be in that area you need to stop in.
dusty
Platinum Member

Tool Shelf

Post by dusty »

Sure puttn, that can be done. It would be a good learning session. You'd use the table saw, jig saw, drill press and router.

Why don't you make one; take photos as you go and report your results to the forum. I know I'd be interested in the results and even more, I'd be interested in how long it took.

You don't even have to make the pattern. There is one available online somewhere. I can't find it right now. I have it in pdf format on my desktop and will send it to you if you provide me your email address.

OR someone who has better search capability than I could send you the link.

When I downloaded it, it was named accessoryshelf.pdf
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Dusty I know you're working for SS now. I don't have the router or the jig saw so I'm going to have to improvise. But, you're right, it would be a good start for me. Haven't done much if anything on it yet so need to get going.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I have the tool shelf and find it a handy methoud for keeping those safety and adjustment items used frequently close at hand. Cleanup of saw dust isn't that cumbersome. A quick pass over the shelf with an open dust collector hose keeps things tide. Is it worth the price? For me yes the time I have availble for shop projects is generally limited. I prefer to concentrate on those projects I rate highly. Were my finances different I would certainly have made my own. I have seen pictures of one made from open steel shelving. It was nice looking and the sawdust would likely fall thru to the floor. My personal preferene is the wooden model. I like the layout and appearance of wood better. I have made a few changes in layout on mine. Again simply to serve my desires better. fjimp.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I bought the wood one a couple of years after obtaining my 510 and am really glad I did. It keeps all my most used accessories right at hand and solved the problem of where to store them.

Making one would be a fun project but I like to use my time making other things so I tend to buy storage items, etc.

Either way, I think it is a good addition to the machine.

Have fun

John
dusty
Platinum Member

Tool Shelf Plans

Post by dusty »

putttn

If you want the plans for the tool shelf, the same one SS sells, just send me your email address via private message and I'll send you a pdf file for the plans.

PS I wish I was working for Shopsmith. At least I would get some discount on what I buy.

Instead of selling it to you, you can get it right here free:

http://www.ssusers.org/files/AccessoryS ... yShelf.pdf
berry
Platinum Member

Shelf

Post by berry »

I built my own, two actually. And if the technology didn't overwhelm me there should be a pic attached.

The lower shelf is two 1x 3's with a dado running the length for the shelf, which is just stranboard from someones old waterbed I got at a garage sale for $2.00. The sides of the shelf rides on the castor axle.

The upper shelf is the same construction but here I attached it to the legs of the SS by using rosen inserts into the structural boards and using a machine bolts, through the legs and into the shelf. The ends of both are open so I can sweep scrap out with a brush. Depending on what I'm doing I can put whatever I need on the shelf.

Both shelves are under the SS but I added a little extentions for a couple of tools, one on each side of the machine.

This is a great project to customize your unit. Hey if you need more pictures let me know I'm learning how to use a digital camera finally.
Attachments
accessory shelf 1_1_1.jpg
accessory shelf 1_1_1.jpg (51.11 KiB) Viewed 29283 times
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dustywoodworker wrote: Instead of selling it to you, you can get it right here free:

http://www.ssusers.org/files/AccessoryShelf/AccessoryShelf.pdf

Don't think this works on the 520 though.
dusty
Platinum Member

Tool Shelf Plans

Post by dusty »

OK paul, I'll bite. Why would it NOT work?