Tool shelf

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Gosh if it doesn't work on the 520 does that suggest iI have to remove the shelf on my 520? Yes Paul it works and as I have said before I am quite fond of mine. fjimp :D
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dustywoodworker wrote:OK paul, I'll bite. Why would it NOT work?

The fence is much larger and does not fit. Shopsmith offers a newer shelf that fits older 500/510 and newer 520. I had the old shelf and when I upgraded to the 520 things did not fit this design looks like what I had.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

fjimp wrote:Gosh if it doesn't work on the 520 does that suggest iI have to remove the shelf on my 520? Yes Paul it works and as I have said before I am quite fond of mine. fjimp :D

Yes I know there is a 520 shelf I have it, I was commenting on the PDF. The design does not look like it will hold the 520 rip fence.
dusty
Platinum Member

Tool Shelf

Post by dusty »

OK, now I'm really confused.

Long ago, I purchased a 510 and later added a tool shelf to it. I have been using it for all of these years. A few months ago, I bought the 520 upgrade kit and I still store the same accessories on the shelf that I did in the beginning.

I do not put the rip fence there. Never have.

How is this new tool shelf different? Pictures would really tell the story.
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Thanks for all the info on the shelf. I'm going to try my hand at making one just for the fun of it.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dustywoodworker wrote:OK, now I'm really confused.

Long ago, I purchased a 510 and later added a tool shelf to it. I have been using it for all of these years. A few months ago, I bought the 520 upgrade kit and I still store the same accessories on the shelf that I did in the beginning.

I do not put the rip fence there. Never have.

I sold the old one a long time ago, I think Shopsmith has been selling the newer shelf for many years.

Notice that the rip fence fits and the newer safety devices also fit. I am not sure what the other changes are.

[ATTACH]116[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]117[/ATTACH]
Attachments
DSCN2433.JPG
DSCN2433.JPG (153.75 KiB) Viewed 20753 times
DSCN2432.JPG
DSCN2432.JPG (92.32 KiB) Viewed 20748 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Tool Shelf

Post by dusty »

Thank You. This is different than mine. Quite a bit. I do not have the "L" shaped or the "T" shaped holes and my fence straddler is offset 90 degrees from yours.

Maybe a little router work will produce an upgrade. I think I can see router tracks in your photos, two plunges. I have to wait until daylight though. Lights went out in the shop last night. Glad I wasn't in the middle of a saw cut.
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Paul, the pics are really helpful. Got any more? Thanks:)
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

putttn wrote:Paul, the pics are really helpful. Got any more? Thanks:)

What exactly do you want, I can post as many as you need.
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Thanks! The more the better for me. I'm really a green pea and anything that I can see will sure help. Thanks for your help.