Shopsmith Fixed Stop Collars??

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jmilligan
Gold Member

Shopsmith Fixed Stop Collars??

Post by jmilligan »

What are or were the fixed stop collars on the fixed tables intended to do, or are they just for general use? I have two fixed tables, one for each end of the Shopsmith if I need a second one (long stock or full sheets of plywood). I use the stop collars to keep them at a generally used height.

I use an adjustable stop collar on the main table for fine adjustments (like dado blade depth). The carriage wheel is not for fine adjustment unless you are lucky the first time.
Jeff Milligan
Keizer Oregon
Mark V 520 (upgrade from 510), sliding cross cut table, bandsaw, DC3300, jointer, 6" belt sander, strip sander, biscuit jointer, router table, pro planer, power station and lift assist.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

jmilligan wrote:What are or were the fixed stop collars on the fixed tables intended to do, or are they just for general use? I have two fixed tables, one for each end of the Shopsmith if I need a second one (long stock or full sheets of plywood). I use the stop collars to keep them at a generally used height.

I use an adjustable stop collar on the main table for fine adjustments (like dado blade depth). The carriage wheel is not for fine adjustment unless you are lucky the first time.
As one example, you use a fixed stop collar on the tail stock when you align it to the quill. That way you always have the right height when you use it without adjusting it every time. I do knot see how they wood be useful on the tables, unless you did knot adjust for height very often.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

In addition to the tail stock, I use stop collars on the band saw. Once aligned, the collars keep it aligned.

Dick
A Veteran-whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve-Is Someone Who, at One Point in Their Life, Signed a Blank Check Made Payable To "The United States of America", For An Amount of 'Up To and Including My Life'
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If you make your own moldings using the molding head then the stop collars are used to get the table back to the same position for the final pass. It generally requires three passes to get decent looking moldings.
They are also useful when making wide and deep dados for the same reason.
Bill
jmilligan
Gold Member

Post by jmilligan »

Thanks so much for the information on ways to use fixed collars. Being relatively new to Shopsmith, this is very helpful. I haven't done much lathe work yet.

One of the key reasons I chose Shopsmith over other systems/setups is the great resource this owners forum provides to new as well as experienced owner/users.
Jeff Milligan
Keizer Oregon
Mark V 520 (upgrade from 510), sliding cross cut table, bandsaw, DC3300, jointer, 6" belt sander, strip sander, biscuit jointer, router table, pro planer, power station and lift assist.
tsaguy
Gold Member

Post by tsaguy »

I'm making my own stop collars out of wood. Cutting them with a forstner bit to the diameter of the posts, and then stacking as many as I need in order to get the heighth I desire.

I'm cheap and do not wish to spend money on actual SS collars...
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Actually the stop collars are not very expensive. I found them in a store that provides bearings, pillow blocks and arbor shafts to the power transmission industry. They are very similar to depth stops for drill bits but are of course larger. Check your local directory for bearing suppliers in tour area and they should have them.
Bil V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:Actually the stop collars are not very expensive. I found them in a store that provides bearings, pillow blocks and arbor shafts to the power transmission industry. They are very similar to depth stops for drill bits but are of course larger. Check your local directory for bearing suppliers in tour area and they should have them.
Bil V
Be prepared to get a different size allen wrench!
And a sloppier fit.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange