miter slot measurement

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

georgeorwell
Bronze Member

Re: miter slot measurement

Post by georgeorwell »

I was just checking back as I got my calipers and measured the miter gauge bar and I have 0.7275" at the widest on a sloppy fit old worn bar... That would not fit your diagram.

FYI - Haha - not a troll...why would anyone troll THIS site?!! You presumed too much, therefore your logic was incorrect.

Here is the back story:
I am restoring a woodshop by a famous architect. He had an old Magna tablesaw. That company was bought by Shopsmith. I bought an Incra 1000 to fit that and it would not work. I had the old miter gauge and bar and, of course, the tablesaw. But I had no calipers to measure with. I called Shopsmith and, unfortunately, got Krista. She said the measurements were proprietary and would not tell me. She also said Shopsmith changed everything Magna had - which seemed unlikely... why would you change the miter slots on a casting (or machining) just for fun? Disbelieving, I looked and posted here AND called and got another, competent, guy at tech support who confirmed Krista was incorrect and the shopsmith miter bars will fit - as will the Incra version.

I thank you for posting the images of the slot. I would ask that you note the model that slot is on as it varies on at least two different Shopsmiths...

I will now leave you to your toys.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Table that Dusty gave the measurements is for the "T" Slot found in the Mark V with the larger table systems of the Models 510, 505 (a 510 without the floating tables), 520 and the new Mark 7. The Mark 5 and Mark V with the original, now designated 500, Table uses the same width and thickness Miter Bar but without the "T" slot.

You mention the Magna Table Saw in your last post. Are you referring to the Magna Line 710 Table Saw shown in the picture below?
710 Table Saw.jpg
710 Table Saw.jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 36092 times
I an not positive but I believe it uses the same Miter as the Mark 5 as both were being made at the same time in the 1950's.

Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

---Yeah, I don't think you can buy any aftermarket miter gauges or guard bars to fit the Shopsmith miter slots, unless they have been special purpose built for it. I believe the miter bar is meant to be 5/16" x 23/32" in size, but the "standard" miter slot on most table saws is designed for a 3/8" x 3/4" miter bar. If you do purchase an aftermarket miter gauge, such as an Incra, make sure you get the Shopsmith version that has a milled down miter bar to fit.---

Is it possible to open up the SS table miter slot to the more standard 3/8 x 3/4 - then youd have access to a range of different miter guages etc.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Micro Jig claims that their ZeroPlay guide bar will fit a ShopSmith miter slot. I doubt that it could be used as a miter bar, but it should be dandy for sleds and such.

https://www.rockler.com/micro-jig-zeroplay-guide-bar

I bought one last year, but haven’t tried it out yet.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bainin wrote:---Yeah, I don't think you can buy any aftermarket miter gauges or guard bars to fit the Shopsmith miter slots, unless they have been special purpose built for it. I believe the miter bar is meant to be 5/16" x 23/32" in size, but the "standard" miter slot on most table saws is designed for a 3/8" x 3/4" miter bar. If you do purchase an aftermarket miter gauge, such as an Incra, make sure you get the Shopsmith version that has a milled down miter bar to fit.---

Is it possible to open up the SS table miter slot to the more standard 3/8 x 3/4 - then youd have access to a range of different miter guages etc.

Possible, yes but....

Not recommended(not by me anyhow). Accuracy? Weakening? Affect use of SS stuff?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Micro Jig claims that their ZeroPlay guide bar will fit a ShopSmith miter slot. I doubt that it could be used as a miter bar, but it should be dandy for sleds and such.

https://www.rockler.com/micro-jig-zeroplay-guide-bar

I bought one last year, but haven’t tried it out yet.

If you go to https://www.incrementaltools.com/ and search for shopsmith you can buy parts for the Incra 5000 miter sled. One of which is the Shopsmith adjustable miter bar.

PM5K-700300
Aluminum Miter Bar, 18" (Shopsmith)
$16.95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER