Mark V option to upgrade cast-Al knobs?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Mark V option to upgrade cast-Al knobs?

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

This was a designated "brainstorm day" at work, and lo and behold I have a brainstorm for the Mark V.....

I bet if they sold upgraded wing-knobs for the quill-stop, headstock-lock, etc., they could sell a lot. Mine are the durable stock aluminum castings, but you can see the mold-lines and the occasional bubble in the metal. To me, this is the only part of the machine that doesn't look as precise as it ought to.

Ideally I'd like some "machined billet aluminum" knobs. You see this stuff all the time now on the American Chopper, Hot Rodder shows.

Other ideas would be to get some durable dark paint into the letters & grid-lines of the existing knobs.

Comments?

Chris
Shopsmith 510, Bandsaw, etc.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

You might want to try some good old elbow grease. You can file or grind off parting lines then buff these parts up. You should be able to get then a lot better then they now are and it would be a lot cheaper then having them made.

When you get it done take some pictures and post them, I for one would love to see it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mckenziedt
Gold Member

Post by mckenziedt »

I spray painted mine, then took a very fine sanding sponge and sanded off the high points paint, leaving the lettering and grid pattern highlighted. Some touch up with a very fine brush was necessary to repair some places. I kept the paint away from the larger flat surfaces to minimize the amount of paint removal needed. A little tedious. but came out nice.